Kenneth Westary has been appointed as a cooperative education specialist at Essex Community College. Westary will work in the college's Office of Cooperative Education and Internships at Essex. He will be primarily responsible for developing work-experience opportunities with businesses throughout the Baltimore region for students in 21 academic programs. Westary is self-employed as a professional recruiter. Stephen S. George, secretary-treasurer of Haussner's Restaurant and Bakeries and president of Francie's Ltd. Restaurant in Fells Point has been certified as a Foodservice Management Professional, the highest credential awarded by the Educational Foundation of the National Restaurant Association.
* Grabush, Newman & Co. PA, a Baltimore-based accounting and management consulting firm, has been selected by CPA Services to receive the Digest 50 Award recognizing it as one of 50 outstanding accounting firms in the country.
* Dawn James-Serra, a CPA with Grabush, Newman & Co. PA, certified public accountants and management consultants, received the Bel Air Jaycees Key Person Award for 1990-91 for outstanding service to the community.
* Jane M. Brewer, a partner at Katz, Abosch, Windesheim, Gershman & Freedman P.A., a certified public accounting firm, has been elected president of the Rotary Club of Towsontowne.
Michael M. Gajewski, a recent graduate of the University of Baltimore, has joined the audit and accounting staff at Coyne & ** McClean Chartered.* Clifton, Gunderson & Co., a regional accounting and consulting firm, has named Patrick M. Byer adit supervisor and John E. Poznick in-charge accountant.
* K. Julie Simermeyer, CPA, and Gwendolyn E. Brown, CPA, have been promoted to client administrators in the Manufacturing and Distribution Division at Walpert, Smullian & Blumenthal P.A.
The law firm of Gordon, Feinblatt, Rothman, Hoffberger & Hollander has named Jerrold A. Thrope as the chairman of its litigation department. A cum laude graduate of Harvard Law School and a former clerk for the United States Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, Thrope joined the firm in 1982 and handles a broad range of commercial litigation and family law matters. The firm's litigation department has more than 20 lawyers.
* The Baltimore County Chamber of Commerce announced that Jay R. Fries, a partner in the law firm of Kruchko & Fries has been named to the board of directors and will serve as vice chairman for small business for the 1991-92 fiscal year. Fries' law firm concentrates on the representation of management in labor, employment and employee benefits law.