Rev. W. B. Hogan dies


was active in Jesuit programsA Mass...

September 18, 1991

Rev. W. B. Hogan dies; was active in Jesuit programs

A Mass of Christian burial for the Rev. Walter B. Hogan, S.J., who campaigned for a free labor movement in the Philippines and worked in Jesuit social programs in Asia, will be offered at 11 a.m. tomorrow at St. Alphonsus Rodriguez Roman Catholic Church, 10800 Old Court Road, Woodstock.

Father Hogan, who was 78, died Monday at Stella Maris Hospice of heart disease and Parkinson's disease.

Forced to retire in 1979 by a stroke that destroyed his speech, he had been living at the Jesuit Novitiate in Wernersville, Pa.

Though he had been serving for a short time as associate pastor of St. Jude's Church in Rockville at the time of his retirement, he spent much of his career in the Orient.

Born in Philadelphia, he was a graduate of the Roman Catholic High School there, then attended St. Joseph's College for a year.

He then entered the Jesuit novitiate in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., and in 1933 was sent to the Philippines, where he studied at a seminary in Novaliches and taught English and history at the Ateneo de Manila University.

He returned to this country in 1941 and was ordained in 1944 while completing his theological studies at Woodstock College.

He returned to the Philippines in 1946, and began working for a labor movement free of government control, corruption and communism.

He gave lectures and taught classes attended by future leaders and government officials, including Sen. Benigno S. Aquino Jr., who was assassinated in 1983 before his wife, Corazon Aquino, became president.

Father Hogan also arranged for employers to pay salaries directly to Manila dock workers, wages that earlier had been passed through the hands of several layers of labor leaders to the workers.

And he walked the picket lines himself, once standing with a picket sign in front of the man who controlled Philippine Airlines and had been verbally abusing strikers.

In 1956, his support of a strike at the University of Santo Tomas brought an order forbidding him to speak publicly on social issues in the Archdiocese of Manila.

He continued working there for five years until moving to Hong Kong, where he worked with Jesuit social programs in a wider area of Asia and the Pacific.

In 1969 he went to the Philippines again for three years, returned to the United States, then went back to the Philippines from 1975 until 1978.

A conference hall in the Social Development Complex of Ateneo de Manila University was named for him in ceremonies last May.

He is survived by a brother, James Hogan of Severn; a niece; and a nephew

Ernest H. Rahn Jr.

Pianist, organist

Ernest H. Rahn Jr., a native of Baltimore who was a retired pianist and organist, died of leukemia Aug. 10 in Phoenix, Ariz.

Mr. Rahn, who was 76 and lived in Phoenix nearly 50 years, retired about two years ago as a musician and as a security officer for an automobile dealer.

A native of Baltimore whose father was a doctor, he was educated at Forest Park High School and the Peabody Conservatory of Music.

He is survived by his wife, Wilma Rahn; a daughter, Virginia Payne of Sedalia, Mo.; a sister, Virginia R. Shanaman of York, Pa.; a half sister, Sharon Herwig of New Freedom, Pa.; and a granddaughter.

Services for Mr. Rahn were held in Phoenix.

Mary G. Adamson

Singer, dancer

Services for Mary G. Adamson, who sang and danced under her maiden name Mary Greeley in children's radio and stage shows, will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at the Burgee Henss Funeral Home, 3631 Falls Road.

Mrs. Adamson, who was 70 and lived on Falls Road, died Monday at the University of Maryland Medical Center of complications to heart surgery.

A native of Baltimore who attended Western High School, she was billed as Little Mary Greeley the Teen Aged Ballad Singer on the Saturdayradio broadcasts of "Uncle Jack's Kiddie Club" from the stage of the Hippodrome Theater in the 1930s.

She was also an acrobatic dancer in the club's stage shows there and at the Steel Pier in Atlantic City.

Mrs. Adamson lived in the Woodberry area for many years. Her husband, Donald D. Adamson, a retired sheet metal shop foreman for Lloyd E. Mitchell Inc., died in 1975.

She is survived by a son, D. David Adamson Jr. of Arbutus; two daughters, Mary Jo Adamson of Baltimore and Betsy Satosky of Pikesville; two sisters, Virginia Wagner of Cockeysville and Josephine Wagner of Baltimore; and six grandchildren.

J.G. Prendergast Jr.

Senior law partner

A Mass of Christian burial for John G. Prendergast Jr., a senior partner in the law firm of Smith, Somerville and Case who was a trial lawyer and an expert on health care law, will be offered at 11 a.m. tomorrow at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, 101 Church Lane, Texas.

Mr. Prendergast, who was 50 and lived on Foxley Road in Timonium, died Sunday at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center of complications to cancer.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.