David H. Cole
A memorial service for David H. Cole, a senior training specialist for Insight Distribution Systems, will be held at 9 a.m. today at the Roman Catholic Shrine of the Sacred Heart, 5800 Smith Ave., Mount Washington.
Mr. Cole, who was 38, died Tuesday of complications from acquired immune deficiency syndrome at his home on Rosebank Avenue.
He had been with the computer hardware and software company for 10 years. Earlier, he had worked at the American National Bank.
The Baltimore native was a graduate of the Mount Washington Country School, Loyola High School and Towson State University.
Mr. Cole liked to work in his meticulously landscaped yard, and cultivated a thorough knowledge of movies, music and musical theater. He was also interested in architecture and Baltimore history.
He is survived by his longtime companion, Michael W. Tyre; his mother, Ruth F. Cole of Rodgers Forge; two sisters, Susan C. Brune of Baltimore and Marjorie C. Wildey of Rodgers Forge; two brothers, Richard R. and Peter A. Cole, both of Baltimore; five nieces; and four nephews.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the emergency services fund of the Health Education Resources Organization, 101 W. Read St., Baltimore 21202.
Eugene J. Clifford
A Mass of Christian burial for Eugene J. Clifford, a former director of traffic engineering for Baltimore County, will be offered at 2 p.m. today at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, 101 Church Lane, Texas.
Mr. Clifford, who was 68 and lived on Boxerhill Road in Cockeysville, died Tuesday of complications after heart surgery at the Washington Hospital Center.
From 1963 until 1975, he served in the Baltimore County post, then joined the Ralph M. Parsons Co., construction manager on the Baltimore Metro, and served as its manager of general services. In 1984, he became a consultant to a Towson engineering firm, Erdman and Associates.
He had gone to work for Montgomery County in 1950, becoming its traffic engineer before moving to Richmond, Va., to serve as traffic engineer there for two years.
Before moving to Baltimore County, he also worked as a civilian traffic engineer for the Army at Fort Eustis, Va.
He was a former president of the Washington section of the Institute of Transportation Engineers and a former secretary-treasurer of the Chesapeake chapter of the Maryland Society of Professional Engineers. He also was a member of the institute's national board and served as secretary of its Matson Memorial Fund, a traffic engineering award program.
In 1985, he was given the Past Presidents Award of the Washington section of the institute.
A native of Boulder, Colo., who was reared in Silver Spring, he was a graduate of Gonzaga High School and, in 1950, of the Catholic University. He had served in the Army Corps of Engineers in the Southwest Pacific during World War II.
In the Boy Scouts, he served as institutional representative for Troop 497 at St. Joseph's Church and was a member of the advancement committee of the Dulaney District of the Baltimore Council.
At St. Joseph's Church, he was president of the parish council and a member of the board of corporators.
He also wrote short stories, some of which were published in literary journals.
Mr. Clifford was a vice president of the Baltimore Writers Alliance, which awarded him first place in both fiction and non-fiction in 1987.
He is survived by his wife of 42 years, the former Anna Bott; four sons, Army Maj. James Clifford of Augsburg, Germany, the Rev. Thomas Clifford, S.J., of Wernersville, Pa., John Clifford of Richmond and Paul Clifford of Oakland, Calif.; a daughter, Lois Clifford Wesson of Phoenixville, Pa.; a brother, Charles N. Clifford of Silver Spring; and four grandchildren.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the Greater Baltimore Medical Center or the Heart Center at the Johns Hopkins Hospital.
Milford S. Brown
A memorial service for Milford S. Brown, a retired medical support worker at the Sparrows Point plant of Bethlehem Steel Corp., will be held at 4 p.m. tomorrow at Gregory Memorial Baptist Church, 5701 York Road.
Mr. Brown, who was 80, died July 27 of cancer at his home on Evesham Avenue in Govans.
He retired in 1975 after 33 years with the steel company in medical support services, including driving an ambulance, and as a truck driver and company policeman.
Earlier, he worked for several businesses, including the Oriole Cafeterias, Scholl's Restaurant and Cafeteria, the Schmidt Baking Co. and the old Rustless Iron and Steel Corp., now Baltimore Specialty Steels Corp.
The Baltimore native lived on Pennsylvania Avenue until he was 9, when his father died. Then, from 1920 until 1927, he lived at Tressler's Orphans Home in Loysville, Pa., where he played the trombone in the school band.
Returning to Baltimore, he played baseball on a team sponsored by St. John's Huntingdon Episcopal Church in Waverly as a young man.
At Gregory Memorial Baptist Church, he was a member of the Reed Bible Class and bowled for many years in the church's league.
A fan of baseball and other sports, he also liked to listen to radio talk shows when not involved with gardening or family.
He is survived by his wife, the former Frances Singleton; and three daughters, Margaret Karp of Baltimore, Anna Brown of Towson and Helen Spencer of the Rossville area.