50 Years Ago (week of Sept. 7-Sept. 13, 1941):
* At a meeting of the Baltimore-Washington Boulevard Property Owners Association this week, members decided to deed enough of their property to the state toallow the road to be widened to 70 feet. They further agreed that each property owner would receive $1 consideration for the land. Members also donated $10 each to the association fund to aid this improvement effort.
* Twenty-two Howard County 4-H members won a total of $341 in prize money at the Maryland State Fair in Timonium. Harry Lee Eyre Jr. of Glenelg won top prize for his Hereford baby beef. The same animal was named Reserve Grand Champion of the fair. Warren Streaker won a first-place award for his pure bred Percheron filly and Jane Gaither took first prize for an Ayrshire bull calf.
25 Years Ago (week of Sept. 4-Sept. 10, 1966):
* The County Commissioners reached agreement this week with the residents of Ellicott City's Fels Lane area county-owned housing on improvement of sanitation conditions. Most of thehouses had neither indoor nor outdoor plumbing. Residents had been disposing of waste in a nearby tributary of the Patapsco River. The county agreed to provide community bath and toilet facilities for approximately 40 families. The residents, now represented by attorney FredE. Weisgal, had threatened a rent strike to protest their living conditions. The public baths were considered to be a temporary solution until better affordable housing could be constructed.
* The town of Savage celebrated the 150th anniversary of the founding of the Savage Cotton Mill. As part of the celebration, the B&O railroad formallypresented the Bollman Truss Bridge to the County Commissioners. The bridge had been built by Wendell Bollman in 1869. Displays of antiques, arts, crafts and souvenirs were also part of the festivities.
Information for this column was culled from the Howard County Historical Society's Library.