It is said that golf aces come in bunches and Bob Hedrick an Buck Brennan are quick to agree.
Hedrick, professional at the Winters Run course, was running short on holes-in-one certificates after four of his members chalked up perfect shots within a week. "I thought someone was playing a joke on me," said Hedrick. "Every time I turned around, there was another acemaker accepting congratulations."
The seventh hole was the prime target at Winters Run. Three of the four holes-in-one were scored on this hole. The bell-ringers were Glen Fowler, Rex Thompson and Bob Holmes. John Hirschberger aced the fifth hole at Winters Run.
Incidentally, Holmes had scored a hole-in-one the week before at Sparrows Point Country Club.
Then there is the unusual case of Brennan at Rolling Road. He had three aces this season, striking once in May, August and September. All three of them were on Rolling Road's 10th hole.
In other holes-in-one over the weekend, Bruce Frazier aced the second hole at Chartwell and Joe Franco holed his tee shot on the third hole at Turf Valley's North Course.
Elsewhere in area golf:
* Worthington: Chris Conklin captured the Club Championshipposting 250 in the 54-hole stroke play competition. John Startzel was runner-up with 259. Low net winner was Ron Fouse with 216. Vernon Potter's 226 was second.
* Piney Branch: Dave Heiberg's 36-hole total of 163 won the Senior Championship. Dick Price was overall runner-up with 164. Age division leaders (all with net scores) were: Chuck Monninger at 146 in the 50-57 class, Bob Holland and Bill Miller both with 144 scores in the 58-65 group and Len Mumma's 144 in the 66-and-over age class.
* Baltimore CC: Mike McShane, Sally Casey, Scott Miller and Kristin Dollenberg are club champions this season. McShane edged Pat O'Malley on the 37th hole to win
the men's title, Casey defeated Catherine Ruddo in the women's final, Miller won the boys junior title and Dollenberg was the girls winner.
In the men's flight finals, Kevin Dunbar defeated Russ Niller, Nick Jackson defeated Len Kimball, Bob Vogel defeated Brian Chasney and Gene Agerton defeated Lou Manzo. Other junior club winners were Jim Knott and Anna Schultz in the 11-13 age class and Ricky Schultz and Katie Curran in the 10-and-under class.
* Chartwell: Paul Dittner and Ken Kinsburg carded a 67 to win the two-man team scramble tournament. Tied at 68 were the teams of Jim Flahive and Jack Fine and Kim Traylor and George Reich.
* Woodholme: It required a 20-player playoff to decide the club's Classic winning team. After a five-team tie prompted a playoff involving 20 golfers, the winning team, consisting of Andy Billig, Bob Levine, Vince Askin and Steve Fader, birdied the first extra hole.
Other teams in the original tie were: Michael Baylin, Richard Bart, Howard Janet and Steve Brand; Michael Kuntz, Morty Plant, Dick Pachino and Robert Matz; Steve Blum, Larry Rosenthal, Marty Pechter and Shelley Kravitz; and Art Adler, Herb Bank, Arnold Frank and Arnold Scheinberg.
* C.C. of Md.: Bill Dornbush won the club's Senior Championship, scoring 71-76-147 in the 36-hole stroke play event. Bill Gross won the 55-59 division with a 157 score, Jerry Phipps led the 60-69 division with 154, Chuck Beeler and Bob Hammel tied in the 70-74 division and Les Bartholomew won the 75-and-over class with 175.
Net winners were Tom Elliot 144, Ben Beckwith 144, Dick Tighlman 141 and Pete Edmund 144.
Fivesome competition produced the following winning teams: 60-Tom Harrison, Bill Burdyck, Tom Kane, John Miller and Lee Jones; 61-Jerry Phipps, Bob Brooke, Neil Lanzi, Conni Lanzi and Dick Cromwell; and 61-Bruce Lamdin, Jim Cosgrove, Dick Becker, Gene Lance and Lou Judges.
B6 * Diamond Ridge: Mark Lundy's 158 total won the Di
amond Ridge stroke play championship. He had rounds of 80 and 78. Rich Kochanski's 71-63-134 won low net.
* Rolling Road: Leon Lineburg and Rick Sovero Jr. won top honors in the Ray Bassler Memorial Tournament. Lineburg took low net with a 76-13-63 score. Sovero won low gross with 68.
Divisional leaders were: (A)-Armand Diferdinando 77-12-65, Buck Brennan 75-9-66 and Dan O'Brien 79-13-66; (B)-Jim Dunphy 81-15-66, Dave Brochmal 80-13-67 and (C)-Jim Angelo 92-24-68 and Dick Michocki 93-24-69.
In team play at Rolling Road, two teams tied with 118 scores. The winning foursomes were: Howard Spinkel, Charles Mangues, Jack North and Dave Schneider, and Ed McIninch, Dave Jaques, Don Erdman and Don Rice.
* Winters Run: Tim Martin's 75 grabbed the first-round lead in the men's Club Championship. Other leaders are Pete Rivera 76, Dave Lassen 76, Lee Apple 77, Rex Thompson 77 and Pat Richardson 77.
* Pine Ridge: Those reaching the Club Championship semifinals are Wayne Gegorek, Dick Davidson, Russ Hudson and Bob Elund.
* Towson Golf: Paul Naumann and Ray Daue formed the winning team in the club's Member-Guest tournament. They had a net total of 126.
Divisional winners were: (A)-Ralph Reglar and Greg Ball 132, (B)-Henry Marconi and Bob Watson 129, (C)-Mike Cook and Bob Lund 126, and (D)-Mike Higgins and Tom Muller 130.
* Wakefield: Leading low net teams in the Fall Two-Man Team Championship were: 132-Gene Sines and Mike Whaley, 134-Gary Witt and Wayne Fountain, 134-Mike Larrick and Mark Snyder, 136-Russ Faulkner and John Brandenberg, 137-Lonnie Ritzer and Dick Wardenfelt, 138-Bo Darr and Bob Cumberland, 138-Butch Horner and Mackie Pajak, and 139-Jack Gambatese and Bill McGarvey.
Leading low gross teams were: 117-Mike Fastner and Todd Eckenrode, 152-Bob Hoy and Gerry Eckenrode, 152-Craig Jennings and Charles Walker, and 156-Dave Bittner and Rich Menseck.
The women's division leaders were 149-Mary Ann Zgorski and Ginny Grossnickle, 152-Pat Smith and Kris Greene and 155-Barb Linder and Rita Delia.