Girl, 15, fatally shot Teen-ager is one of three victims of weekend homicides.

September 09, 1991|By Alisa Samuels and Richard Irwin | Alisa Samuels and Richard Irwin,Evening Sun Staff

A 15-year-old girl shot to death outside a northeast Baltimore church in an argument over visiting her 10-month-old baby was one of three weekend homicide victims in the city, police reported.

Homicide detectives arrested the victim's 20-year-old boyfriend after he came to a district station, made a statement and police found the body.

Police also arrested a man in a second homicide, a stabbing, and were searching for an assailant in another fatal shooting.

In the death of the teen-ager, police said, Girrard Jerome Ferguson, of the 4000 block of Boarman Ave. in northwest Baltimore, came into the Eastern District station on Edison Highway shortly after 10 p.m. Saturday and told them he shot and killed his girlfriend.

The victim, Lydia Shirazi of the 6000 block of Barstow Road, had been shot once in the head outside the Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran Church in the 4800 block of Hamilton Ave., police said.

Police said Shirazi had been forced at gunpoint from Radecke and Cedonia Avenues to the church, where a quarrel took place about Ferguson visiting her and their 10-month-old child.

Shirazi was shot once in the head with a handgun. Police said the girl probably died immediately.

Police said that in his statement at Eastern District station, Ferguson told them the weapon had been thrown into a trash bin near the Maryland Penitentiary.

While officers went there and were recovering the gun, Ferguson reportedly told police where Shirazi's body was. However, Northeastern District police said the girl's body wasn't found until 11:40 p.m. because Ferguson was not familiar with the northeast area.

After checking several locations, police eventually went to the church and found the girl's body on a set of steps.

Police said Ferguson was charged with first-degree murder and handgun violations. He was held at the Eastern District station lockup without bail pending a bail review hearing today in District Court.

In the fatal stabbing, Melvin Reese, 37, of no fixed address, was charged with first-degree murder and possession of a deadly weapon in the death of Marshall Lucas of the 100 block of Colvin St., police said.

Police said that about 8 a.m. Saturday, a friend found Lucas in his apartment, where he lived alone. He had been stabbed several times.

Information supplied by residents of the apartment building led police to the identification of a suspect. After canvassing the area, police arrested Reese and charged him with the slaying.

Reese was held overnight at the Southeastern District without ,, bail pending a bail review hearing today in District Court.

Police were not sure of the motive.

Early yesterday, a 45-year-old man was fatally shot during a struggle with another man in the kitchen of an apartment in the 3400 block of Ravenwood Ave.

Police said Bennie Gerald, of the 2900 block of E. Federal St., was visiting his girlfriend when a man broke into the dwelling about 3 a.m.

A struggle between Gerald and the intruder took place in the kitchen, and Gerald was shot two times. He died at the scene.

Police have made no arrests and were unable to say if the intruder was a burglar or someone known by the woman.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.