The permit that will be required of hunters seeking antlerless deer in Garrett, Allegany, Washington, Frederick and Carroll counties this firearms season is designed to make application and approval easier for hunters and the Department of Natural Resources.
There is, however, a problem with the new system: In the "Guide to Hunting and Trapping in Maryland, 1991-92," the antlerless deer permit application form is incomplete and applicants are not completing the full form.
After experiencing difficulties last year -- when a number of applications were lost in the mail -- the new application contains a return notification card that the DNR will send to the applicant to confirm receipt of the form.
The omission on the application is a place for a street address. Without a street address, the notification card cannot be returned.
If you have completed the return application card, the DNR will simply copy the street address from it. If you did not, call the DNR Wildlife Division.
If you have yet to submit the application, please follow the directions closely and include your street address in the place for city or in the empty space below.
* The following corrections should be noted in the guide:
* Page 5 -- The cost of the federal duck stamp is $15.
* Page 28 -- Season dates for the additional one antlerless deer in Somerset, Wicomico and Worcester counties should be Sept. 14-Nov. 29; Dec. 9-Dec. 20; Jan. 6-Jan. 31.
* Page 31 -- Worcester County has been omitted from the list of counties that do not require an antlerless permit for the Nov. 30-Dec. 7 season.
* The hunting season at Wye Island Natural Resources Management Area will run from Nov. 4 through Nov. 22, for bow hunters only this year.
Waterfowl hunting at Wye Island NRM will be restricted to Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Permits will be required and season dates will be set later this fall.
Applications for archery deer and waterfowl may be obtained after Sept. 3 from DNR, State Forest and Park Service, 580
Taylor Ave., Annapolis, Md., 21401.