Rapist Pleads Guilty To 3 More Assaults

September 06, 1991|By Jay Apperson | Jay Apperson,Staff writer

A man convicted of raping a motel clerk faces the prospect of life in prison after pleading guilty yesterday to raping a woman in her Cape St. Claire home -- and then returning to the house five days later to rape another woman.

Michael Richard Smith, 31, also pleaded guilty yesterday to assaulting a woman he had met near a Pasadena bar, and to assault with intent to rape in connection with an attack on a Pasadena woman, Assistant State's Attorney Eugene M. Whissel II said. In that sexual assault, Smith followed the woman home and told her sparks were flying out of her car's exhaust pipe before forcing his wayinto her house, the prosecutor said.

Smith, who has used the alias Michael Shockley, is serving a 25-year sentence with no chance for parole for the July 1990 rape of a Salisbury motel clerk. Smith received the no-parole sentence in July because he had two prior convictions for violent crimes, including a 1979 sexual offense in Florida, Whissel said.

Yesterday in county Circuit Court, Smith pleaded guilty to two counts of first-degree rape in connection with the attacks in the Cape St. Claire home. Smith broke into the house in the predawn hours Sept. 15 and raped a woman whohad been sleeping in her bedroom, Whissel said. Five days later, Smith broke into the house, this time raping another woman who also had been sleeping in her bedroom, Whissel said.

The next night, Smith offered a ride to a 27-year-old woman who was leaving the Wheel Inn in Pasadena, the prosecutor said. Smith severely beat the woman, Whissel said. Smith pleaded guilty to assault and battery yesterday in connection with that incident.

Last Oct. 5, Smith approached a 35-year-old Pasadena woman after she had pulled into her driveway and, after forcing his way into her house, attempted to rape her. The woman avoided being raped by fending off her attacker with a pair of scissors, police have said, but she was severely beaten.

Smith was arrested that night after police spotted him in a truck matching the description given by his victim. He subsequently confessed to the other attacks, Whissel said. The prosecutor said Smith did not use a weapon in any of his attacks.

Smith had been living with relatives in the 1100 block of Riverview Drive, Cape St. Claire, when the attacks occurred. His sentencing is set for Oct. 28.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.