50 Years Ago (week of Aug. 31-Sept. 6, 1941):* The Howard...

Flashbacks

September 04, 1991|By Diane Mullaly

50 Years Ago (week of Aug. 31-Sept. 6, 1941):

* The Howard CountySurgical Dressing Unit was seeking volunteers this week to help themmeet their wartime quota of 4,700 dressings by Sept. 15. The group met Tuesdays 6 to 10 p.m. and Wednesdays 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Workers were requested to wear white dresses or coveralls and white head coverings.

* A meeting was held this week at the Ellicott City Court House for the purpose of organizing a Howard County Women's Democratic Club.Representatives from each of the county's election districts were present. Acting officers were elected, and another meeting was scheduled for later in the month.

25 Years Ago (week of Aug. 28-Sept. 3, 1966):

* Groundbreaking took place this week at the site of the Commercial and Farmer's Bank's new main office at the corner of Route 40and Rogers Avenue. The $250,000 structure was scheduled to be completed in early 1967. When the new main office opened, the existing mainoffice on Ellicott City's Main Street would become a branch office, and the Route 40 branch office would be demolished.

* The bridge connecting Sykesville and old Route 32 was the scene of an accident this week when a large truck carrying water barrels struck a utility pole near the bridge, knocking down the pole and some long-distance telephone lines.

The accident occurred when the truck's brakes failedand the driver leaped from the cab to safety.

As a result of the mishap, train service on the nearby tracks was held up for several hours, and rush hour traffic was backed up. There were no injuries.

Information for this column was culled from the Howard County Historical Society's library.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.