Mary Sylvia Putens
Was buyer for county
A Mass of Christian burial for Mary Sylvia Putens, a longtime Stoneleigh resident and a retired purchasing agent for Baltimore County, will be celebrated today at 11:30 a.m. at the Roman Catholic Immaculate Conception Church in the 100 block of Ware Avenue in Towson.
Mrs. Putens died Thursday of complications from cancer at the Cardinal Shehan Center on Dulaney Valley Road, where she had lived since June. She was 69.
The youngest of 12 children, the former Mary Mikolajczyk was born and raised in Hazleton, Pa., where she attended parochial schools. She attended George Washington University and remained in Washington during World War II as a secretary to a general.
In 1948, she moved to Baltimore to be near an older sister. It was here that she met Howard L. Putens, whom she married in 1949.
The couple settled in Stoneleigh, and when the children arrived, Mrs. Putens quit her job with an insurance company. When they were older, she resumed her career, first at the admissions office at nearby Towson State University, then as a court stenographer in Baltimore County's juvenile justice system.
In 1966, Mrs. Putens went to work for the county government, first as an administrative secretary, then an administrative assistant and finally as a purchasing agent, what the county called a buyer.
Mrs. Putens remained with the county for 18 years, retiring in 1984 to care for her husband, whose health was declining. Mr. Putens died two years later.
Beyond work and child-rearing, Mrs. Putens life was a full one. For a time, she taught Sunday school at Immaculate Conception. She was a volunteer at the Stella Maris Hospice in Dulaney Valley and was a member of the Women's Auxiliary at St. Joseph Hospital, where she was co-manager of the gift shop during the two years before her death. At the time of her cancer diagnosis in April, Mrs. Putens was training to be a volunteer at the Pregnancy Center in Towson.
Mrs. Putens is survived by a son, Edward V. J. Putens of Greenbelt; two daughters, Janet L. Rommel of Salisbury and Deborah L. Gibbons of Hampstead; three sisters, Hedwig Patchak of Baltimore, Helen Wasilewski of Hazleton and Laura Kulig of Levittown, Pa.; and 10 grandchildren.
Lee Davis Watts
Chemical firm foreman
Graveside services for Lee Davis Watts, a retired foreman for a chemical company, will be held at 11 a.m. today at Meadowridge Memorial Park in Elkridge.
Mr. Watts, who was 85, died Thursday at Harbor Hospital Center of heart failure. He lived on St. Margaret Street in Brooklyn for 46 years.
Mr. Watts was a foreman at Royster Chemical Co. in Fairfield, where he supervised the manufacture of fertilizer. He worked at Royster for more than 20 years, retiring in the late 1960s.
He was born in North Carolina, growing up in Taylorsville and Kannapolis. He attended Campbell University in Buie's Creek, N.C.
He married Ethel King in 1937 in Kannapolis. They moved to the Baltimore area in the early 1940s and together ran a dry cleaning business at their home for many years while Mr. Watts was working at the chemical company. Mrs. Watts died in 1985.
An active member of the First Baptist Church of Brooklyn since 1942, Mr. Watts served as deacon, trustee and Sunday school teacher and superintendent.
He was a member of the Pythagoras Masonic Lodge for more than 35 years.
Mr. Watts is survived by two sons, Davidson Watts of Glen Burnie and Lindsay Watts of Baltimore; two grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.
Emmart R. Guyton
Funeral services for Emmart Reynolds Guyton, a Stevensville resident and longtime Baltimore steelworker, will be held Wednesday at 11 a.m. at the Helfen Bein Funeral Home in Chester.
Mr. Guyton died of heart failure Sunday at home. He was 86.
He was born in Baltimore, the only child of parents who both
died of illnesses when their son was 13. After their deaths, he was brought up by relatives.
Mr. Guyton quit school after the eighth grade and went to work, first as a clerk in a grocery store and then with his own ice truck. In 1926, he married the former Marion Parsons of Baltimore.
Mr. Guyton began as a steelworker during the Depression, taking jobs with two steel companies before joining a third, Steel Specialties Inc. on East Monument Street, as its first employee. He stayed with the company, which manufactured specialty steel parts, until his retirement in 1973, eventually becoming a shop superintendent.
In 1962, the Guytons moved from Govans to Stevensville. The couple had one child, Emmart A. Guyton Jr., who died in 1983.
Following his retirement, Mr. Guyton was active in the American Association of Retired Persons and the Island Idlers, an organization of retirees in the Stevensville area.
In addition to his wife, Mr. Guyton is survived by his daughter-in-law, Nancy Guyton of Stevensville; two grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.
Charles Coursey Sr.