A fire in a rear second-floor bedroom in the first block of North Catherine Street in Southwest Baltimore took the life of a 70-year-old man yesterday afternoon and forced his wife to flee their home.
Sirlister Ford was found dead and badly burned in bed.
His wife, Letha Ford, who was downstairs when the fire broke out, heard the smoke detector go off and dialed 911, fire officials said. They blamed the fatal blaze on careless smoking.
The fire, which did an estimated $8,500 in damage to the home and its contents, was reported at 2:49 p.m. and brought under control in 14 minutes.