Youth charged after shooting death of man Accomplice sought. Police think killing tied to robbery try.

August 29, 1991|By Richard Irwin and Joe Nawrozki | Richard Irwin and Joe Nawrozki,Evening Sun Staff William B. Talbott and Robert Hilson Jr. contributed to this story.

Police today charged a West Baltimore 15-year-old with first-degree murder as an adult and were seeking an accomplice in the shooting death of a Mount Vernon man during an apparent robbery attempt last night.

The teen-ager, Anthony Marshall of the 1900 block of W. Mulberry St., also was charged with using a deadly weapon in the commission of a felony and was being held without bail at the Central District lockup pending a bail review hearing in District Court, police said.

Homicide Detective Mike Crutchfield said the victim was James E. Carey, 35, of the 200 block of W. Monument St., three blocks from the shooting scene. An autopsy was to be performed on the victim today.

Crutchfield said Carey, who had worked for the U.S. Postal Service downtown for 17 years, was in the 600 block of N. Charles St. around 10:20 p.m. when he was accosted by two teen-agers.

Witnesses told police that the victim resisted the pair as they tried to rob him and was shot at least once in the upper chest. Af

ter the shooting, the youths ran away.

Carey staggered across Centre Street and into the Buttery, a restaurant at 531 N. Charles St., crying out that he was shot before he fell to the floor in front of the counter.

Police said several patrons in the restaurant went to his aid and were assisting him before the first of several police officers and an ambulance arrived.

Crutchfield said that after the man was given first aid he was transported to Johns Hopkins Hospital. He died in the emergency room at 11:05 p.m.

Crutchfield said police did not know if the youths were successful in robbing the victim.

Shortly after the shooting, police saw a young male at Fayette and Calvert streets who allegedly fit the description of one of the youths seen running from the scene of the shooting. They arrested him without incident.

Several hours later, police charged Marshall with murder and a handgun violation.

"Does this surprise me?" a neighbor of Marshall said today, referring to the arrest. "Not at all. Not one bit."

Crutchfield said a second youth, believed to be 15 or 16 years old and wearing a white baseball cap, remained at large today.

The gun used in the slaying had not been recovered.

Richard Graff, who rented the Monument Street apartment to Carey for 11 years, described him as a "fine young man."

"He had just returned to Baltimore from Dublin [Ireland] where he attended the wedding of some friends," Graff said. "He was very happy with that trip."

Graff said Carey was born and reared in Essex, and worked as a mail sorter at the Fayette Street branch of the U.S. Postal Service for 17 years.

"Jim would have resisted a robbery, that would have been Jim," Graff said.

Lauren Rose, a friend of the victim, said Carey got home from Ireland about a week ago.

"He called it a trip of a lifetime," Rose said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.