V. Renee Warnken
Services for V. Renee Warnken, who operated an interior decorating business and had earlier worked as a secretary, will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Grace English Lutheran Church, 8601 Valleyfield Road, Lutherville.
Mrs. Warnken, who was 73 and lived on Cranbrook Road in Cockeysville, died Monday after a heart attack at the home of a client.
She operated Renee Warnken Interiors for nearly 45 years. It specialized in slipcovers, draperies and similar items, which she, at one time, sewed herself.
From 1960 until 1980 she worked as an executive secretary at several firms, including Whitman, Requardt and Associates, the Glidden Paint Co., Radio, Electronic and Television Schools Inc. and the Hamilton Electronics Co.
During World War II, she worked as a secretary at the Glenn L. Martin Co., now Martin Marietta Corp. Former President Richard M. Nixon was one of her supervisors there when he was a naval officer stationed at the Middle River plant.
A native of Mineola, N.Y., who came to Baltimore as a child with her family, the former V. Renee Hill worked nights as a drug store fountain clerk to help support the family after the death of her parents. She graduated from Western High School in 1937.
She lived in the Perry Hall area for many years and for more than 20 years was a member of the Woman's Club of Perry Hall.
Her husband, Gordon L. Warnken, died in 1974.
She is survived by a daughter, Renee L. Brooks of Perry Hall; a son, Byron L. Warnken of Baltimore; two brothers, George L. Hill of Baltimore and Dr. Harry E. Hill of Los Angeles; and five grandchildren.
Gertrude M. Hicken
A Mass of Christian burial for Gertrude M. Hicken, a saleswoman and volunteer worker, will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow in the chapel at Stella Maris Hospice, 2300 Dulaney Valley Road.
Mrs. Hicken, who was 98 and had lived at the hospice or the adjacent St. Elizabeth Hall for about 12 years, died Tuesday of heart disease at the hospice.
Five years ago, she retired as a volunteer worker at the gift shop at St. Joseph Hospital, where she served for 20 years. She also was a volunteer for nine years at the shop at St. Elizabeth Hall.
In 1973, she retired after working since 1948 as a clerk in the linen department at Hochschild's Belvedere.
Born in Baltimore, the former Gertrude M. Preller was a graduate of Holy Cross School and attended the Institute of Notre Dame.
Before her marriage in 1918, she worked full time in the straw hat factory of the Thompson and Grace Co. and part time as a saleswoman at Otterbein Bakery.
In 1919, she and her husband, William H. Hicken opened a dairy stand, the Hicken Creamery Co., the first stall to use mechanical refrigeration at the Cross Street market.
In 1934, Mr. Hicken moved the business to their home in Stoneleigh, and he delivered dairy products and poultry from a basement refrigerator to the homes of customers. He retired in 1950 and died in 1969.
Mrs. Hicken is survived by her son, Dr. William J. Hicken of Timonium; four granddaughters; and three great-grandchildren.
The family suggested memorial contributions to Stella Maris Hospice.
Patricia L. Sites
Services for Patricia L. Sites, retired secretary to the financial secretary of the Baptist Convention of Maryland, will be held at 2 p.m. today at the Rader Funeral Home in Longview, Texas.
Mrs. Sites, who was 66 and moved from Clinton in Prince George's County to Harleton, Texas, a year ago, died Sunday of kidney failure at a hospital in Longview.
She moved from the Baltimore area to Clinton about five years ago after her retirement. She had worked nearly 15 years at the Lutherville offices of what is now the Baptist Convention of Maryland-Delaware.
For 10 years before taking the convention post, she had been secretary at the First Baptist Church in Suitland for 10 years.
A native of Blackwell, Okla., the former Patricia L. Scott moved to the Washington area in 1944 and had worked for the National Archives and the Government Printing Office before joining the church staff.
She is survived by five daughters, Concetta Burgamy of Sandersville, Ga., Debbie Mings of Harleton, Sue Sites of Italy, Mary Dopp of LaGrange, Ga., and Becky Lorden of Forest Hills, near Washington; a sister, Dorothy Tayman of Clinton; 11 grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
James E. Floyd Sr.
Native of Baltimore
James Edward Floyd Sr., a native of Baltimore who was a retired school custodian and former Catonsville gas station owner, died Aug. 6 after a stroke in Dunedin, Fla., where he lived since 1974.
Mr. Floyd, who was 80, moved to Florida after his retirement as custodian at the Woodlawn Senior High School. He had worked there and at the Arbutus and Catonsville Elementary Schools since 1957.
For 15 years before that, he operated the gasoline station, Starner's Amoco, at Ingleside and Edmondson avenues, where there is still an Amoco station. During that time, he also owned a stock car, which an employee drove in races at the Dorsey Speedway.
Earlier, he worked as a driver for the Fuchs Transfer Co., which hauled bottled whiskey from the Calvert Distillery.
A native of Pigtown in Southwest Baltimore, he lived in Anne Arundel County on the Magothy River before moving to Florida.
He is survived by his wife, Thelma Floyd; two daughters, Barbara Addison of Atlanta and Carolee Doneski of Glen Burnie; a son, James Edward Floyd Jr. of Tarpon Springs, Fla.; eight grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.
Services for Mr. Floyd were held Aug. 12 at the Singleton Funeral Home in Glen Burnie.