Nadine Bernard has joined the Columbia office of PaineWebber Mortgage Finance as vice president. Bernard has six years of experience with another mortgage banking company in Columbia, where she was loan officer and assistant branch manager. The company also announced that Gene Lugat was named vice president and branch manager of the Lutherville office. Lugat had seven years of experience with Maryland National Mortgage Co. in Baltimore.
* Deborah M. Davis has been appointed controller of the Development Credit Fund Inc., a non-profit corporation providing financial assistance to qualified economically disadvantaged people doing business in Maryland.
* Signet Bank has promoted Kathleen A. Dean, Nancy A. Fox, Barbara J. Gardner and Deborah L. Geoge to assistant vice president in the branch administration division. The bank also promoted Bonnie J. Hupp and Lynn C. Lee to assistant vice president in the consumer real estate division.
* Alex. Brown & Sons Inc., a Baltimore investment banking firm, has hired Will Fastie as a technology industry analyst. He will be responsible for covering desktop software companies such as Lotus Development, Borland International and Microsoft Corp. Fastie recently edited, published, developed and marketed the Fastie Report, a Baltimore newsletter that analyzes personal computing and targets PC executives in Fortune 1000 firms. He was also the founding editor, editor-in-chief and editorial director of PC Tech Journal, a technically oriented magazine for the computer industry.
Edward F. Gorman has joined U.S. Message Corp. as its first field sales representative. He previously was special projects coordinator for Comcast Cablevision in Baltimore. U.S. Message Corp. is a national telephone answering and message service.
Harry Commarata was named controller for Smelkinson SYSCO, the food service distribution firm based in Jessup. He will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the accounting department, controlling all physical inventories and preparing company financial statements and annual budgets. He previously was an accounting manager at the firm. James A. Holechek, a member of the board of the YMCA of Greater Baltimore Inc., has been named chairman of the board's human resources committee. He currently heads James Holechek Public Relations Inc.
Keith G. Swirsky has joined Venable, Baetjer and Howard as counsel in the firm's business division. Swirsky will concentrate his practice in federal, corporate and partnership taxation; business organizations and law, including mergers and acquisitions. He also has expertise in dispute resolution and lease workouts.
Swirsky previously worked for the firm of Clary & Moore based in Falls Church.
Michele J. Koppel has been named account coordinator with Richardson, Myers & Donofrio [RM&D], a Baltimore-based marketing communications firm. Koppel will assist with trafficking, billing and account management. She was previously with Taylor, Michaels & Grey, an advertising agency in Landover and with the U.S. Treasury, Savings Bond Division.
* Neal M. Ashby of Clark Keller Advertising Inc. in Annapolis has been promoted to art director. Ashby studied at the Otis Art Institute of the Parsons School of Design in Los Angeles and received a bachelors degree in advertising from the University of Maryland, College Park. He has won several awards in the Baltimore, Washington and Philadelphia areas.
* Elizabeth C. Felter has joined Kaiser Associates, a Baltimore public relations firm, as assistant account executive/intern. She previously held public relations positions at the College of Notre Dame of Maryland and Bucknell University in Pennsylvania. Kaiser is a full service public relations counseling, media relations, crisis communications and public affairs firm with local, regional and national clients.
* Kevin Crew has been hired in the media department of the Reeves Agency, based in Baltimore. Crew, who holds a bachelor of science in communications from Towson State University, will be responsible for management of spot placement and print buying. The Reeves Agency is the area's eighth largest advertising, marketing and public relations firm.