Seven area golf club champions were crowned over the weekend.
Among the 1991 titleholders are David Nocar at Chartwell, Sheldon Kalish at Woodholme, Bob Johnson at Turf Valley, Jim Pelisek at Sparrows Point, Tony Narciso at Forest Park, Drew DeVan at Maryland Golf and Country Club and Ray Carrow at Clifton Park.
Nocar became a three-time winner of the Chartwell championship when he downed Earl Hamilton 7 and 6 in a 36-hole final. The winner jumped to a 5-up lead with a 2-under-par 70 in the morning round. Other flight winners were Al Shuttleworth, Jim Kensky, Bob Eby, Don Myers, Tim Thomasson and Don Rickleman.
Kalish made it six championships at Woodholme when he turned back Joel Kaye 4 and 3. The match was even after nine holes. Both Kalish and Kaye played in the U.S. National Amateur earlier in the week.
Johnson was a first-time winner at Turf Valley when he took a 4-2 decision over Steve Hepting in a 36-hole final. Johnson held a 1-up lead after 18 holes.
Other flight winners were Henry Dolan, Paul Mangini, Lee Bindseil, Dick Stocksdale, Bob Briggers, Armand Levin and Walt Simon.
Pelisek became a double titleholder at Sparrows Point when he defeated Eric Watkinson 5 and 4 in the club's match play final. Earlier this year, Pelisek captured Sparrows Point's stroke play championship.
It took a playoff to decide Narciso's victory in the 54-hole Forest Park stroke play title test. Originally Narciso was tied with a 224 total with Willie Smith. Louis Wright was third with 226.
Other flight winners at Forest Park were Ted McRae 244, Gene Mersinger 259 and Al Parker 275.
DeVan became a multiple winner at Maryland Golf and CC with a 5 and 4 triumph over Dave Kuchta. Other flight winners were John Bangs, Clem Strickline, Paul Littmann, Bill Capallo and Bill Karner.
In the women's championship final, Moon Kim defeated Sandy Peltz 3-1.
Carrow won the 36-hole stroke play event at Clifton, scoring 71-75--146. He closed a stroke ahead of Jim Martell and Tony Solesky. Joe Bulddemeyer won the A flight and Charles Ayers was the C flight winner.
Elsewhere in area golf:
* Piney Branch: Harry Barry and Betty Arenz survived a playoff to win the mixed tournament with a 36-hole total of 131. They had tied at 131 with Bob Moser and Debbie Stricker. Carol Gailey and Jan Schmid led low gross with 150.
* Woodholme: Jon Levinson was overall winner of the junior tournament. Eddie Hoffman was runner-up. Leaders in the 13-14 age group were Mike Roth and Bryan Billig. Darren Mandell and Darren Scheinberg paced the 11-12 division and John Schulman and Stacey Kress were winners in the 10-and-under class.
* Rolling Road: Mike Frick defeated David Conrad, the defending JTC champion, 1-up, in first-round play of the men's club championship. Conrad, who was 5-down at one point of the match, evened matters only to lose by three-putting the 18th green.
In other matches, Gene Fields defeated John Sauder 2-1, Andy Pataki defeated John Sovero 2-1, Mike Duffy defeated Monty Page 2-1, Billy Riggs defeated Paul Erdman 4-2, Rick Sovero Jr. defeated Bill Packo 6-5, Jim Pfrogner defeated Bert Penheiro 4-2 and Terry Scerba defeated Butch Smith 3-2.
* Clifton: Dean Blankenship, the new Middle Atlantic junior champion from Wakefield Valley, won the Clifton Junior tournament after a playoff with Matt Hudson. The pair originally tied with 74s.
* Wakefield: Bob Heltibridle and Stan Webster carded 79s to lead the Senior Championship. Age division leaders were: (50-55)-Howard Frymier 66, (56-60)-Bill Fitzhugh 64, (61-65)-Howard Petry 56, (66-70)-Monty Hankin 85, (71-75) Loring Yingling 64, and (76-over) Buck Parks.
Diana Tames won the women's senior title, scoring 96. Low net went to Marcia Hankin with 71.
* Hobbits: Sheri Cooper won the women's championship for the third time when she defeated Young Ja Kim 5-4 in the final.
In the men's semifinal, Adrian Druzgala defeated Bruce Shaver 1-up and Jim Spall defeated Dale Williams 5-3. Age division winners in the junior tournament were Ian Hume, Matt Noon and Lance Rohder.
* Eagles Nest: John Furno's 133 net score won the Cornish President's Cup. Divisional net and gross winners were: (A)-Art Harduvell Sr. 134 and Tom Mallot 157, (B)-Dave Chenoweth 141 and John Rock 169, (C)-Dave Wells 139 and Ray Magno 174 and (D)-Tony Trantas 139 and Frank Locke 190.
* C.C. of Md.: In second-round matches of the club championship, Larry Storck defeated Art Daddezio 4-3, Ken Trail defeated Tom Elliott 6-5, Joe Franz IV defeated Bill Dornbusch 1-up, Charles Harris defeated Fran Fick 5-4, Joe Wintsch defeated Scott Hargest 2-1, George Marin defeated Allen Anthony 3-2, Stan Bailey defeated Bob Snyder 2-1 and Bob Lang defeated Al Mank 1-up.
* Chestnut Ridge: Herb Kishter won the senior title, posting a 36-hole score of 150. Age division winners were: Conrad Bruns 173, Len Kotz 176 and Harvey Friledman 181. Net leaders were Tom Nichlson 149, Richard Diener 151, Harvey Jerome 151 and Al Bernstein 144.