Mccourry Lesson Is Short One

First-round Ko Cuts Out Planned Workout

August 25, 1991|By Roch Eric Kubatko | Roch Eric Kubatko,Staff writer

Carson McCourry had the look of a fighter who wanted more. Much more.

He stalked around the ring in circles, a menacing snarl across his reddened face, as his opponent slumped against the ropes.

The night hadn't gone according to plan for either boxer.

"I was trying to box him, but he kept coming at me," the Pasadena resident said after raising his record to 2-0 with a first-round knockout oflight-heavyweight James Jones (1-2) of Hampton, Va., Thursday.

His fists continued to fly as he shadow-boxed in a corner of his dressing room at La Fontaine Bleu in Glen Burnie -- a bundle of frenetic energy seeking a release.

"He brought the fight to me," McCourry said. "And he hit me pretty good."

Not good enough. A left-right combination to the head early in the round staggered the 25-year-old, buthe recovered quickly and pinned Jones against the ropes.

A right uppercut from McCourry landed flush on Jones' chin, leaving him helpless in his corner as referee Milton Green stepped between the fighters and ended the bout at 2 minutes, 15 seconds.

"The guy can box," McCourry said. "I just don't know if he knew how hard I hit."

He does now.

McCourry had lamented his sloppy performance back in February, when he scored a third-round knockout over Jeff Schmude at the Baltimore Arena. He hoped to use Thursday's bout to sharpen his still-developing boxing skills, working on his jab and footwork, rather than his knockout punch.

"I didn't want to do what I just did," he said. "But he hit harder than I thought . . . (so I) hit him back."

Josh Hall, McCourry's trainer and the matchmaker for Round One Promotions, stood at ringside and smiled as his fighter passed.

"He used a lot of the things we've been working on -- keeping his hands up, slipping punches," Hall said.

"A couple times, his feet were in a bad position and he reared back with the haymaker, but excitement will do that to a fighter. He's getting there. He looked a lot better than he did his last fight."

So did 19-year-old Mark Padeletti, a junior welterweight who trains at the Harding-Lowry gymnasium in Pasadena.

Padeletti (3-1-1) avenged his only loss as a professional witha four-round unanimous decision over Horace Waterson (2-3-1) of Rockville, whose mouthpiece was sent flying after catching a right hand in the final minutes.

"This is the fight I wanted, for me and my father," Padeletti said. "This was a make-me or break-me fight.

"I just want to take a little rest now and then see what's down the road.Maybe a six-rounder soon, or maybe one more four-rounder. There's nohurry."

"He fought a smart fight," said Lou Padeletti, who works as his son's trainer. "He didn't try to kill the guy. He used his smarts."

Another local fighter didn't fare as well. Middleweight Tyrone Griffin (1-2) of Pumphrey lost a six-round unanimous decision to Cliff Wise (2-2) of Laurel.

In other bouts, super-lightweight Glen Randolph (2-2) knocked down Elvin Battle of Hampton, Va., three timesbefore the referee stopped the fight at 1:12 of the fourth and finalround.

Heavyweight Carlton West (3-5) of Hampton, Va., survived afirst-round knockdown to decision Joe Hamilton (0-3) of Baltimore inanother four-rounder.

And in the main event, Percy "No Mercy" Harris (12-2) of Baltimore was awarded a fifth-round technical knockout over Edwin Newby (6-6) of Atlantic City, N.J., in a scheduled eight-round super-middleweight bout.

Newby was trailing when he refused to answer the bell for the sixth round.

Hall estimated the crowd at550 -- "we had around 70 cancellations the week before," he said -- and hopes to put together another card at La Fontaine Bleu in late September or early October.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.