Richard A. Jamison
A memorial service for Richard A. Jamison, retired investment banker, former director of the State Aviation Commission and decorated veteran of the North Africa campaign, D-Day landings and Battle of the Bulge in World War II, will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday at St. David's Episcopal Church, 4700 Roland Ave.
Mr. Jamison, who was 78 and had homes on Bellinham Court in the Elkridge Estates and in Naples, Fla., died Aug. 10 at Sinai Hospital after a short illness.
He retired in 1978 as a director and vice president of C. T. Williams & Co., positions he had held since 1969. Earlier he had been associated with Mead, Miller & Co.
The Hagerstown native also had been secretary-treasurer and a member of the board of the Jamison Door Co., a family owned manufacturing company. He moved to Baltimore in 1935 to work for the Equitable Trust Co.
He was a licensed pilot and left the bank in 1948 to serve in the Aviation Commission post, which he held until 1955.
His employment at Equitable had first been interrupted in 1941 when Mr. Jamison, then a second lieutenant in the cavalry of the Army Reserve, was called to active duty.
He served in armored units in North Africa and Europe, becoming a lieutenant colonel. His decorations included the French Croix de Guerre with palm and an American Bronze Invasion Arrowhead for his service in the landings at Omaha Beach on D-Day, a Belgian Croix de Guerre for participation in the Battle of the Bulge and an American Bronze Star for service at the Remagen bridgehead. He left the Army in 1946.
He was a 1930 graduate of the Culver Military Academy in Indiana, where he was a member of the honor cavalry troop.
At Brown University, of which he was a 1935 graduate, he helped start a polo team for unofficial competition with other Ivy League teams and later was a member of the Maryland Polo Club.
He was a member of the Maryland Club, the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Maryland and the Maryland Society of Sons of the Revolution.
He is survived by his wife, the former Louise Haxall Harris; two daughters, Louisa Jamison Wyskiel of Baltimore and Anne Alvey Jamison of Chevy Chase; a son, Richard Alvey Jamison Jr. of Baltimore; and four grandchildren.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the Johns Hopkins Asthma and Allergy Center, 301 Bayview Blvd., Baltimore, Md. 21224, at the Francis Scott Key Medical Center.
Mary C. Malamphy
Nurse; church member
Mary C. Malamphy, a retired Montebello State Hospital nurse, died Aug. 13 at North Arundel Hospital after a heart attack. She was 79.
Mrs. Malamphy moved from Baltimore to a daughter's home in Gambrills six months ago.
She had worked at the Baltimore rehabilitation hospital for 15 years before retiring in 1968. Earlier, she had nursed at Miners Hospital in Frostburg.
L The former Mary C. Winters was a native of Western Maryland.
Her husband, John W. Malamphy Sr., died in 1976.
She is survived by two sons, John W. Malamphy Jr. of Annapolis and Thomas B. Malamphy of Baltimore; two daughters, Frances Chester of Gambrills and Mary Jo Gaskin of Fairfax, Va.; 15 grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.
A Mass of Christian burial for Mrs. Malamphy, who was a member of the Shrine of the Little Flower parish in Baltimore, was offered Aug. 15 at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church in Odenton.
William P. Dittmar
A memorial service for William P. Dittmar, a native of Baltimore who was a retired chemical engineer, will be held at 2 p.m. today at the Central Presbyterian Church, 7308 York Road.
Mr. Dittmar, who was 83, died Aug. 15 at his home in Verona, N.J., after a long illness.
He retired about 20 years ago after working as a chemical engineer for the Koppers Co. in Verona for about 40 years.
He was a graduate of the Polytechnic Institute and the Johns Hopkins University.
Mr. Dittmar is survived by his wife, the former Elizabeth Bevard; a daughter, Carolyn Fisher of Dix Hills, N.Y.; a son, William H. Dittmar of San Marino, Calif.; and five grandchildren.
Rudolph W. Forti
A memorial service for Rudolph W. Forti, a free-lance photographer and a gay activist, will be held at 3 p.m. today at the Gay and Lesbian Community Center of Baltimore, 241 W. Chase St.
Mr. Forti, who was 37 and lived in Parkville for much of his life, died Aug. 18 at the Seton Hill Manor Nursing Home after a long illness.
A former treasurer and member of the board of the Gay and Lesbian Community Center, he also was the volunteer office administrator of the Gay Health Clinic.
He had been active in campaigns to gain passage of gay rights legislation by the Baltimore City Council. In the mid-1980s, he was shown on national television waving a United States flag in the gallery of the City Council chamber after the defeat of one such bill.
In the late 1970s, he was a photography student for three years in New York City. His work included slides used in the shows of Saratoga, a gay theatrical troupe which toured the country.
The Baltimore native was a 1970 graduate of Calvert Hall College and attended the Essex Community College and Towson State University, where he was a class treasurer and was active in the Student Government Association.
His other political activities included heading the Baltimore County campaign of Sen. George S. McGovern for the Democratic presidential nomination and working for him at the Democratic National Convention at which he was nominated.
His survivors include his father, Rudolph Forti Jr. of Parkville.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the Gay and Lesbian Community Center.