Gary Stuhler of Westminster, who's having an off year by his standards, turned in a strong weekend on the late-model circuit.
Stuhler won track championships at Winchester (Va.) Speedway the past two years and at Hagerstown Speedway in Washington County last year. But he has only won a combined four features at the two tracks this season, plus three during occasional late-model racing at Williams Grove (Pa.) Speedway.
He picked up his third win of the year Saturday at Winchester Speedway. Paul Crowl of Upperco was ninth in the same event.
On Friday, at Potomac Speedway in Budd's Creek, Charles County, Stuhler took seventh in the late-model feature race. Stuhler was one of several drivers who spun out early in the race but recovered and was in the topthree until late in the race.
The Westminster driver also won a preliminary heat at Potomac on Saturday.
Stuhler didn't have a chance to continue his magic Sunday at Hagerstown, because that card was rained out, as was most area Sunday racing.
In other weekend motorsports action:
* Mike Stull of Westminster took top honors in themicrosprint feature at Trail-Way Speedway in Hanover, Pa., Friday night. He also won a preliminary heat.
Also at Trail Way on Friday, Joe Brown of Westminster placed third in the eight-cylinder stock carfeature. Gregg Messersmith of Hampstead placed sixth, Corky Stull ofWestminster placed eighth and Mark Shorb of Westminster was 10th.
Messersmith also won a preliminary heat.
* Jeff Shepard of Finksburg placed seventh in the 25-lap Coor's sprint car feature Saturday at Lincoln Speedway in Hanover, Pa.
Westminster driver Don Zechman,meanwhile, placed fifth in the semi-late-model race at Lincoln.
*Marion Ford of of Hampstead took top honors in the motorcycle class Friday at 75-80 Dragway in Monrovia, Frederick County. Gene Belt of Taneytown was a semifinalist in that division.
Jim Peddicord of Westminster, meanwhile, was a quarterfinalist in Class II.
On Saturday at 75-80, Mike Creaghan of Westminster was runner-up in Class I. Chuck Taylor of Westminster and Chris Hruska of Mount Airy advanced through four rounds in Class I.
* Former Woodbine resident Cris Eash,now living in Hanover, Pa., is sixth in the most recent WSBA Busch Cup Racing Series sprint-car point standings.
The standings are based on performances at four south central Pennsylvania tracks, and total purse for the points race is $75,000.
Fred Rahmer and Steve Smith, two southern Pennsylvania natives, are one-two in the standings.
* Charlie Schaffer of Hampstead is second in the point standings in the late-model class at Hagerstown Speedway, while Stuhler is in fourth.
* Trail-Way Speedway, Hanover, Pa.: Four and eight cylinders, semi-late models; gates open at 5, racing starts at 8 p.m. (717) 359-4310.
* Williams Grove Speedway, Mechanicsburg, Pa.: Sprint cars and supersportsmen; gates open at 6 p.m., racing starts at 8. (717) 766-4778.
* Cumberland Valley Speedway, Shippensburg, Pa.: Several classes of go-kart races.
* 75-80 Dragway, Monrovia: Regular racing schedule and motorcycle points; pits open at 5 p.m. and eliminations start at 9. (301) 865-5102.
* Lincoln Speedway, Hanover, Pa.: Sprint cars, late models, semi-late models and thundercars; gates open at 5 p.m., racing starts at 7:30. (717) 624-2755.
* Trail-Way Speedway: Supercross cycles and four-wheel drives; gates open at 3 p.m., racing starts at 7.
* Winchester (Va.) Speedway: Late models, four cylinders, semi-late models and pure stock. (703) 667-8143.
* Cumberland (Md.) Raceway: Late models, pure stock and semi-late models. Gates open at 4:30 p.m., racing starts at 6:30. (301) 463-6794 or 463-2631.
* 75-80 Dragway, Monrovia: Fall Fuel Funny Cars plus regular card; pits open at 1 p.m. and eliminations start at 7. (301) 865-5102.
* Hunterstown (Pa.) Speedway: Several classes of go-kart races.
* Hagerstown Speedway, Hagerstown: Three 20-lap late-model features, plus limited late models, modified stock and daredevils; gates open at 5 p.m., racing starts at 7. (301) 582-0640.
* Susquehanna Speedway, Newberrytown, Pa.: Sprint cars, limited late models, semi-late models and thundercars; racing starts at 7 p.m. (717) 938-9170.
* Sandyhook Raceway, Bel Air: Several classes of go-kart races.
* Monrovia Raceway, Monrovia: Go-kart races. Pits open at 8 a.m., races start at noon. 239-7386.
* Mason-Dixon Dragway, Hagerstown: Completion of the postponed Maryland National Hot Rod Association Nationals, plus four regular classes; gates open at 10:30 a.m., time trials at noon and eliminations at 3 p.m. (301) 791-5193.