Greg Norman was no match for Stephen McHugh at the Clifton Park golf course yesterday.
McHugh, matching his round against Norman in the annual National Golf Day tournament, crushed the famed Australian by 16 strokes.
While Norman set the national target score with a round of 71 played in Florida, McHugh made good use of a 32 handicap to whip the "Shark" with a net 55 score at Clifton.
In all, there were 37 out of 89 contestants at Clifton who bettered Norman's score. One of them beat Norman without a handicap. Joe Specca paced the play at Clifton with a gross score of 69.
Other net leaders besides McHugh at Clifton were: Mike Seidel 91-30-61; Jack Welsh 77-16-61; Ron Walton 79-17-62; and Vince Desantis 80-17-63.
Elsewhere in area golf:
* Sparrows Point: In quarterfinal matches of the club championship: Eric Watkinson defeated Chris Capone, Randy Ruckert defeated Larry Engle, Tom Kline defeated Chuck Smith, and Jim Pelisek defeated John Stevens.
* Hunt Valley: Ray Daue and Paul Naumann scored 137 to win low gross in the two-day Member-Guest tournament. Low net went to Dave Lipinski and Paul O'Leary with 127. Flight winners were:
(A)-Frank Lotman and Doug Kuhn 127, (B)-Rob Singleton and Marty Muehe 128, (C)-Rick Schmidt and Gordon Zorn 129 and (D)-Jim Biggar and Bryan Zawicki 134.
* Woodholme: Final round of the club championship was postponed until finalists Sheldon Kalish and Joel Kaye both returned from the National Amateur in Tennessee. In other flight finals, Michael Baylin defeated Bernie Robbins, Aaron Finklestein defeated Gene Schreiber and Howard Janet defeated Abe Adler.
In championship flight matches of the Women's division, Maddie Levine defeated Midge Thursby, Arlene Birnbaum defeated M. Brown, Gerry Quartner defeated Bonnie Oletsky and Joan Cohn defeated Horty Amernick.
* Rocky Point: Leading teams in the Senior foursome tournament were: 114-John Zimmerer, Prentis McCall, Paul Napier and Charles Smith; 115-Norman Phillips, Hank Demski, Pete Blauciak and Robert Niemeyer.
* Chartwell: In semifinals of the club championship, David Nocar Jr. defeated Dennis Wells and Earl Hamilton defeated Rick Hunsicker. The quarterfinals saw Nocar stop Bunky Ebersberger, Wells defeat Paul Bittner, Hunsicker down Don Pette and Hamilton defeat Mike Fedor.
* Baltimore C.C.: Bob Kaestner was medalist in the club championship, qualifying with a 73. Jan Miller is defending champion. Other qualifiers were: Bill Knott, Joe Galvin, Mike McShane, Bob Lee, Pat O'Malley, Byron Hertslet, Skip Horst, Scott Heffner, Guy Phelan, John Riehl, Ed Johnston, Doug Dollenberg Sr., Jim Knott and Pat Brady.
* Chestnut Ridge: Joe and Don Shane won the Father-Son championship, scoring 161 in the over-18 age group. Don and Thad led the under-17 group with 212. Net winners were Marvin and Steve Friedman and Ed and Eric Wingrat. Winners of the nine-hole class were Ron and Ryan Sless.
* Md. Golf: Drew DeVan and Dave Kuchta are finalists in the club championship. In the semifinal round, Kuchta defeated Duane Zechman 2-1 and DeVan defeated Pete Weincek 1-up.
* Suburban: Eighteen-year-old Kelly Just captured the women's club championship, edging former winner Sharon Pusin on the 19th hole.
Just had trailed throughout the match, but pulled even on the 18th green. She went on to take the title with a par on the first extra hole. Flight winners were Annette Coplan, Carol Keehn and Carmen Cullen.
Leading scores in the men's nine-hole championship are Ed Rogers 95, Henry Sauber 96, Moses Morris 98, Sol Goodman 98 and Don Menaker 98. Low net winners were Jim Waranch 73, Myron Oppenheimer 74 and Gunther Borris 76.
* Turf Valley: Winning gross teams in the two-man team competition were Dick Breen and Paul Nettlebledt with 157 and Bob Deltuva and Bob Gilham at 149.
* Rolling Road: Kanya Chintrisna captured the women's club championship for the eighth time, defeating Roland King 5-3 in the final. Flight winners were Shelly Sovero and Sungryu Shin.
Billy Riggs led qualifiers for the club championship, carding 74-69-143. Other leaders are Jim Pfrogner 74-71-145, Andy Pataki 71-74-145, Monty Page 74-73-147, Butch Smith 76-72-148 and Ron Appler 74-74-148. David Conrad is defending champion.
Buck Brennan scored a hole-in-one on the 10th hole.
* Hobbits: Adrian Druzgala, going for his fifth club championship in the last six years, defeated Dick Lewis in the quarterfinals. In other matches, Bruce Shaver defeated Doug Wilson, Jim Spall defeated Bob Lutz, and Dale Williams defeated Frank Reese.
* Bonnie View: Mike Gotthelf, scoring 88-22-66 and Phil Udoplf with 83-17-66 were winners of the Israel Bonds tournament. Flight winners in the club championship were Bill Kirk and Buddy Fine.