Attack On County Officer Draws 10-year Sentence

Pcp Use Cited In Beating By Savage Man

August 18, 1991|By Jackie Powder | Jackie Powder,Staff writer

A Savage man was sentenced last week to 10 years in prison for brutally attacking a county police sergeant last summer after she stopped to offer help to the man.

Gregory P. Andrews, 29, of the 8900 block of Baltimore St., pleaded guilty to assault with intent to murder in connection with the July 19, 1990, attack on Sgt. Patricia A. Full,a 12-year member of the Howard County Police Department.

Before sentencing, Andrews' lawyer, Preston A. Pairo Jr., told Judge Raymond J. Kane Jr. that Andrews has had a history of drug and alcohol abuse since age 10.

On the night of the attack against Full,Andrews had consumed large quantities of PCP and alcohol, Pairo said.

Noting that Andrews has completed a drug treatment program sincehis arrest, Pairo requested a sentence within the state sentencing guidelines of three to eight years.

Addressing the court, Andrews apologized to Full.

"I'm very sorry for what happened that night," he said. "At least now I have time to look back and get my life in order."

In addition to the prison sentence, Kane placed Andrews on five years of supervised probation and ordered him to complete drug and alcohol therapy.

Full was on a routine patrol around midnight when she noticed a Camaro stopped with its flashers blinking, on Route 1 near Whiskey Bottom Road in North Laurel. She pulled up behind the car and prepared to offer assistance.

When Andrews got out of the Camaro, Full was "confronted with a hostile, profane and deadly person," said senior assistant state's attorney Kate O'Donnell.

Andrewsrushed Full, grabbed her by the uniform shirt and threw her back against the patrol car, shouting obscenities at her, according to a statement of facts read at sentencing.

Full tried to arrest Andrews, but he continued shouting and beat Full with his fists, knocked her tothe road and banged her head against the pavement.

Two bystanderswho saw the beating came to Full's aid and a state trooper respondedto Full's "signal 13" officer in distress call.

"If not for two male civilians with the help of a large Maryland state trooper, she (Full) would have been killed by Gregory Andrews," O'Donnell said.

The attack left Full with a concussion, bruises, abrasions and a sprained hand.

In a victim impact statement submitted to Kane, Full wrote "during my 12 years as a Howard County police officer I have neverexperienced the physical or psychological trauma as that which occurred as a result of my encounter with Gregory Paul Andrews.

"The violence with which I was attacked is something which I nor my family will ever forget."

Kane also sentenced Andrews to two years in prison for two driving while intoxicated convictions, to be served concurrently with the 10-year sentence.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.