Service Station Owner, 84, Scares Off Armed Robber

August 18, 1991|By Maria Archangelo | Maria Archangelo,Staff writer

City, state and federal police were still searching late Friday for suspects in a bank robbery and, in a separate incident, the attemptedarmed robbery of a county service station Thursday.

Margaret Rumbold, the 84-year-old owner of Margaret's Service Station, told state police the would-be robber ran off after she refused to comply with his demand for money.

State police said the suspect walked into the station in the 1500block of Old New Windsor Pike around 2:45 p.m. Thursday.

The teen-age suspect showed Rumbold -- who has owned the store for 51 years -- a dark-colored handgun and told her to put money into a plastic grocery bag.

Rumbold, undaunted by the gun, confronted the suspect and refused his demand.

"I said to him 'What do you think you're doing, boy,' and told him I was going to report him," Rumbold said. Thenshe went around to the front of the counter and went to get her husband, Albert. The suspect fled.

"Apparently she acted in such a waythat intimidated him," said Tfc. William Corun of the Maryland StatePolice.

But Rumbold said she was just being herself.

"He irkedme. I am a trusting person and it made me mad," she said. "I wasn't fearful, I was just mad at him."

The suspect leaped over rows of bushes during his escape and ran through an open field and out of sight, she said.

Troopers, K-9 units, and a state police helicopter searched the area, but the suspect was not found, Corun said.

He is described as a white male in his late teens or early 20s. He was wearing a yellow pullover shirt and a light-colored bandanna.

Police believe the would-be robber had a car waiting on Roops Mill Road, eastof the store.

Anyone with information on the case is asked to call the state police at 848-3111.

Westminster City Police and agentsfrom the FBI in Frederick are working together to find a suspect whoheld up the Vermont Federal Savings and Loan at routes 140 and 97.

The robbery occurred around 1:30 p.m. Thursday when the suspect walked up to the counter, pulled a gun from his pants and demanded cash from two employees, said Lt. Dean Brewer of the city police.

Aftertaking an undisclosed amount of money, the man ordered the two employees to lie on the floor and then escaped on foot toward the Weis supermarket, said Brewer.

A city police K-9 unit and a state police helicopter searched the area for about an hour after the robbery was reported.

Brewer said the suspect is described as a black male, 30 to 35 years old, between 5 feet 9 and 6 feet 1, and with a medium complexion and mustache.

He weighs about 200 pounds and has a muscular build, Brewer said.

At the time of the robbery, the suspect woreblack khaki pants and a blue or black T-shirt with "Everlast" written across the front, he said.

Brewer said the employees told policethe suspect brandished a silver or chrome snub-nosed revolver, possibly a .38-caliber or a .357-caliber.

Brewer said the K-9 dog picked up a scent in woods behind Weis.

He said there were tire tracks at the end of the woods.

Anyone with information is asked to call Brewer at 848-4646.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.