Around the house
* Recycle plastic bags that are used for produce. Place in empty pop-up tissue box for easy access.
* Old pillow cases make instant garment bags. Simply cut an opening in the center of a seam, and slip the neck of a hanger through the hole.
* Wash ceiling light fixtures that have accumulated summer insects. Make sure light is off and fixture is cool before removing from ceiling. Wash in warm, soapy water. Rinse and dry.
* Keep a used fabric softener sheet on hand near the kitchen window. A quick wipe every time water splashes onto the glass will keep the windows sparkling.
* Use cupboard space above refrigerator more efficiently. Remove cabinet door and install vertical dividers. Place cookie sheets, cutting boards and cookbooks inside where they are easily visible.
* Recycle old rubber gloves. Cut off one of the fingers and clip a corner of the tip away; this makes a quick funnel when you are pouring a liquid into a container with a narrow neck.
In the garden
* Save stalks, leaves and other leftovers from the summer harvest for the compost bin. Compost enriches soil and increases its ability to hold moisture. Do not compost diseased plant matter.