Complex To Be Revitalized For Poor Starting Monday

August 16, 1991|By Gary Gately | Gary Gately,Staff writer

Renovation work on Boston Heights, the Annapolis apartment complex closed and boarded-up since late 1989, will begin Monday.

The Community Preservation and Development Corp., a non-profit Bethesda-based development group, signed off Wednesday on $5.5. million in state financing for the renovation project.

The non-profit group plans to convert the 159-unit complex, long beset by drugs, violence and slumlike living conditions, into low-income housing that will be renamed Admiral Oaks.

Leslie Steen, president of the development group, said the first units would open in December, with completion of the entire project expected by next spring.

Steen said approval of the $5.5 million in state loans and bonds enabled the development group to begin construction on the long-delayed project, off Admiral Drive.

She said the group is still negotiating with a private corporate investor expected to lend the other $4 million needed for the project. The group hopes to reach agreement with the investor, who would receive federal tax credits, within the next two months, Steen said.

Low-income Annapolis residents, some ofthe estimated 700 on waiting lists for public housing, already have begun applying for apartments in Admiral Oaks.

Of the 159 units, 63 will go to tenants who will pay 30 percent of their gross income for rent and receive the rest from Section 8 federal housing subsidies,Steen said.

The other apartments will rent for about $450 a monthto tenants with annual household incomes of $16,000 to $26,000, she said.

Admiral Oaks will begin taking applications for the non-Section 8 apartments at the construction site in two weeks.

The project will replace roofs, windows, carpeting, floors, kitchens, bathroomsand heating and air-conditioning systems. Stairwells will be enclosed, locked and equipped with intercom systems, and the grounds around the apartments will be landscaped.

The development group bought Boston Heights from Sateesh K. Singh for $2 million last year.

Singhclosed the complex in November 1989 after city officials threatened to condemn many units because of serious housing code violations.

Changes in federal rules shifting review of some low-income housing projects, including Admiral Oaks, from the state to the federal government delayed the project more than five months.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.