Home surrounded, suspect gone Man wanted in armed robbery fled before police arrived to arrest him.

August 16, 1991|By Alisa Samuels | Alisa Samuels,Evening Sun Staff

A man suspected of armed robbery in northeast Baltimore is being sought by city and Baltimore County police, who spent hours mistakenly thinking the suspect had barricaded himself in a house.

Shortly before noon yesterday, police said, Maurice Kevin Forbes, 30, and Nathaniel Swann, 29, were in Forbes' Chrysler New Yorker on McClean Boulevard, preparing to turn left onto Perring Parkway.

"A suspect came up to them and knocked on the window," said Sgt. Stephen Doarnberger, a county police spokesman. "He asked if they were hacking.

"When they said, 'no,' he said he needed a taxi and change for $20," Doarnberger said. As Forbes reached into his wallet to make change, the stranger reached in, grabbed $30 and pointed a small black handgun at the men, Doarnberger said. He grabbed the money and took off running, Doarnberger said.

The two men gave chase.

During the foot chase, police said, the suspect turned and threatened the men with a straight razor. He then continued running.

They followed him to 7164 MacLean Blvd. in the city, about three blocks from the robbery site, police said.

When Forbes and Swann knocked on the door, the man came to the door and threatened them with a gun, Doarnberger said. The two men ran down a hill to a nearby gas station and called police.

"It must have been at that time he escaped," Doarnberger said of the robber.

Shortly afterward, county police arrived and surrounded the house.

The county police responded because the alleged robbery happened in their jurisdiction. City police arrived a short time later, because the house in which the man was believed to be was in the city.

Police negotiators and a tactical team arrived and nearby homes were evacuated. Curious neighbors looked on from windows, sidewalks and the fronts of their homes.

Police tried to make contact with the man via telephone or bullhorn.

They raised no response.

At 3:15 p.m., city police entered the town house.

The man wasn't there.

Known only as "Rock," the man had stayed in 44-year-old James Hudson's town house Wednesday night, apparently because of family problems.

"I didn't know he had robbed anyone," Hudson said yesterday afternoon after police phoned him at work and he arrived home.

"He's a nice guy," Hudson said.

"It's got to be proven that this guy did that," Hudson said. "I don't believe he would . . . but you never know about people."

Police said the suspect will be charged with armed-robbery and a handgun violation, once he is apprehended.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.