50 Years Ago (week of Aug. 10-Aug. 16, 1941): A report...


August 14, 1991|By Diane Mullaly

50 Years Ago (week of Aug. 10-Aug. 16, 1941): A report released thisweek on the county jail (Willow Grove, behind the Court House in Ellicott City) indicated improved conditions at the jail from the previous year's report.

New paint, mattresses and beds were in evidence,and some much-needed general repairs had been made.

It also was noted that prisoners were being fed "a fairly well-balanced diet" by the new warden, who also demonstrated "a commendable attitude" both toward keeping the jail in order and in his concern for the well-being of the prisoners.

* The Fulton Farm Bureau sponsored a poultry tour through Delaware and lower New Jersey this week.

Included in the tour were the Palmer Poultry Farm in Delaware and an egg and poultry auction in Vineland, N.J.

25 Years Ago (week of Aug. 7-Aug. 13, 1966): The Lisbon Volunteer Fire Department Carnival was rudely interrupted this week when gale-force winds tore through the carnival grounds, knocking down tents, amusement rides and concession stands.

The storm also caused the firemen's parade to be canceled. Damage from the storm was estimated at $10,000.

* Howard Research and Development, developers of the new city of Columbia, in conjunction with the Metropolitan Commission, this week approved an agreement covering the construction of 30-inch water mains to serve the newly developed section of Columbia's first village.

The mains were to be installed along Route 29 from Montgomery Road to Little Patuxent Parkway.

Information for this column was culled from the Howard County Historical Society's Library.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.