Farmers Get Drought Aid

August 14, 1991

Farmers in Anne Arundel County who lose at least 30 percent of theircrops to the drought can apply for federal low-interest loans and emergency haying and grazing privileges.

The relief became availableMonday as the U.S. Department of Agriculture designated 18 counties eligible for disaster aid.

Farmers seeking the 4.5 percent interest loans, which can be usedfor operating or living expenses, must apply to the Farmers Home Administration office in their area by April 9, 1992. Loans of up to $500,000 are available.

FmHA officials determine eligibility based onrecords of

average crop yields for the past five years.

Anne Arundel farmers must request applications from the Prince Frederick office at 535-2050.

To apply for emergency haying and grazing privileges on land that federal officials pay farmers to leave uncultivated, farmers must contact the Maryland Agricultural Stabilization Conservation Service office. The phone number is 741-1888.

State officials plan to apply to the U.S. Department of Agriculture for emergency feed aid, said Carol Wathen, program specialist at the state ASCS office. Farmers would be eligible for half their feed costs.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.