In area golf championships, David Kaplan continued to dominate at Bonnie View, Mike Myers romped at Wakefield Valley, newcomer Steve Southern surprised at Chestnut Ridge and H.T. Brown and Carol Gailey replaced their brothers as titleholders at Eagles Nest and Piney Branch respectively.
When Kaplan turned back Paul Steinhardt in the 18-hole Bonnie View final, it marked the 26-year-old accountant's eighth club championship in the last nine years.
Kaplan, who was runner-up in this year's Baltimore City Amateur, jumped to a 4-up lead at the turn and closed the match 5-and-4. Other flight winners were Sid Weiman, Morty Greenberg and Joe Omansky.
Myers was a decisive 7-and-6 winner over Gerry Eckenrode in the 27-hole final at Wakefield Valley. It was in the semifinal of this event that Eckenrode snapped the five-year winning streak of Todd Eckenrode. It was Todd's first loss in 28 matches. In the other semifinal, Myers defeated Bob Kirkner 6-5.
Flight winners at Wakefield were Mackie Pajak, Dick Wardenfelt, Bunk Rush and Jack Winder. In the women's championship, Barbara Linder defeated Diana Tames, 1-up.
Steve Southern, a new member at Chestnut Ridge, won the 54-hole stroke play championship, carding a 232 total. Jim Fisher was runner-up with 234.
Flight winners were Malcolm Schlossberg, Conrad Bruns, Herb Greenbaum, Irv Blum, Al Bernstein, Jerry Hankoff and Mort Hoffman.
H.T. Brown took over at Eagles Nest where his brother, Moose, left off. Since winning last year, Moose turned professional. H.T. kept the title in the family, however, as he defeated Fred Peightal 3-and-1 in a 36-hole final at Eagles Nest. Peightal held a 1-up lead after 18 holes. Gerry Brenner and Jack Soliman were flight winners.
Pam Soliman won the Women's Championship, defeating former winner Aimee Waltz 5-and-3.
Carol Gailey turned tables on his brother, Wayne, in an exciting championship final at Piney Branch.
A year ago, Wayne defeated Carol in a struggle that went 37 holes. This year, it was Carol who defeated Wayne on the 37th hole. In the semifinals, Carol defeated Paul Loveless 2-1 and Wayne defeated Ken Madison 4-3.
Flight winners at Piney Branch were Steve Gailey, Phil Phillips, Bob Billy, Mark Storck, Bob Henderson, Bob Powless and Phil Kastal.
Peggy Eline won the women's title, defeating Nancy Gailey 2-and-1 in the final. Other flight winners were Joan Reichart and
Elsewhere in area golf:
* Md. Golf: For the second straight year, Mike Carter turned back defending champions in the Maryland Golf and CC's match play championship. His latest victim was defender Dick Murphy, who bowed 4-2 in the first round.
In other championship flight matches, Duane Zechman defeated Glen Norris 1-up, Gordon Wright defeated Dick Burt 3-2, Dave Cuchta defeated Steve Walczak 1-up, Drew DeVan defeated Wayne Carter 4-2, Jim Griffin defeated Steve Allen 1-up, Pete Weincek defeated Jim Winner in 19 holes and Jim Kleman defeated Charles Boarman 1-up.
* Hunt Valley: George Dilli captured the club's Senior Championship, posting a 36-hole 153 total. Bernie Egliskis was second with 154.
Age division net winners were: 50-54 Dave Eichhorn 142; 55-59 Bob Taylor 134; 60-64 Bill Clark 145; 65-69 Walt Sibiski 140; and 70-plus Don Fitzgibbons 137.
* Suburban: The team of Richard Sheffler and Rosellen Shapiro won the mixed championship, scoring 143. David Dembert and Sharon Pusin were second with 144. Net winners included Adam Cohen and Kelly Just 130, Harvey and Naomi Solomon 141 and Bob and Robin Just 142.
* Winter's Run: Earl Spitzer edged Joe Eshleman in a playoff for the club's Senior Championship. They originally tied with 76s. Leading gross scores were 78 by Bill Oliver in the 55-60 age group, 76 by Eshleman in the 61-64 class, 76 by Spitzer in the 65-69 group, and 82 by Don Villa among 70 and over.
* Chartwell: David Nocar opened defense of his club match play championship, defeating Glen Gish. In other first-round results:
Bunky Ebersberger defeated Mike Lynch, Dennis Wells defeated Dick Berzinski, Paul Bittner defeated Bob Merkert, Don Pette defeated John Irvine, Rick Hunsicker defeated Randy Pritchard,
Earl Hamilton defeated Al Gast, and Mike Fedor defeated Arnold Grubel.
* Mount Pleasant: Leaders in the men's club point tournament were Kevin Donahue 42 points, Fritz Lehner 41, Brian McTaggert 40 and Jon Mark 39.
* Rolling Road: Tom Rea with 75-9-66 and Jim Dunmphy with 79-13-66 tied for the Roe Tournament. Divisional winners were (A)-John Ritter 74-9-65, (B)-Jack North 81-15-66 and (C)-John Turner 93-26-67. Rick Sovero Jr. won low gross with 67.
In the women's nine-hole championship, Jean Barnes defeated Roberta Lavin 4-2.
* Rocky Point: The winning team in foursome play included Joe Kachinski, Dick Gardner, George Johnson and Bob Tivvis, scoring 319.
* C.C. of Md.: Low gross in foursome play was led by Chuck Ebner, Jerry Phipps, Barry Jesen and Stan Bailt, carding 133. Second with a 135 score was the team of Pat Webb, Charles Harris, Bill Dornbusch and Bill Gross.
Leading net teams were: 124-Tim Hargest, Frank McShane, Chuck Franklin and Clark Hargest and 125-Jack Vogt, Steve Mitchell, Mike Farrell and Rick Kell.
* Woodholme: The club's match play championship will not be decided until after the National Amateur is played later this month. Both finalists at Woodholme -- Sheldon Kalish and Joel Kaye -- qualified for the national test and it was agreed to play their Woodholme final upon their return.
* Holes-in-one: George Forbes on the 16th hole at Maryland Golf and CC; Mike Spector on the 13th hole at Woodholme.