5 die on Maryland highways in rash of separate single-vehicle accidents Dundalk woman wandered onto I-695

August 11, 1991|By William F. Zorzi Jr.

Five people, including a Dundalk woman who wandered in front of a car early yesterday on the Baltimore Beltway, died on Maryland's highways in a rash of single-vehicle accidents since Friday night, police reported.

Georgia Ann Peltzer, 28, of the 8000 block of Mid Haven Road, was killed at about 12:35 a.m. yesterday, when she walked in front of a car in the fast lane of northbound Interstate 695 just south of North Point Boulevard, said Cpl. Jay R. Diggs Jr. She was pronounced dead at the scene, Corporal Diggs said.

The driver of the 1985 Pontiac that hit Ms. Peltzer apparently did not see her along the dark stretch of the Beltway until she was struck, he said.

It was unclear why Ms. Peltzer was on the Beltway, he said. Police are awaiting the results of an autopsy by the medical examiner's office to determine whether she was under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

The driver of the car, Alvin Sylvester Randolph, 44, of the 5300 block of Litany Lane in Baltimore County, has not been charged in the accident, which is still under investigation. Final determination of whether charges will be filed is up to the Baltimore County state's attorney, Corporal Diggs said.

In Harford County, a 31-year-old Bel Air woman died early yesterday at Maryland Shock Trauma Center after she was injured in an accident Friday night on High Point Road north of Cosner Road, state police said.

vTC Cheryl Anne Pritt, who lived on Whistler Road outside of Bel Air, was thrown from her car at about 10:50 p.m. Friday after losing control of the vehicle, which crossed the road and crashed into an embankment.

Ms. Pritt was taken to Fallston General Hospital by ambulance, then flown by helicopter overnight to Shock Trauma, where she died yesterday at 10:56 a.m.

In Montgomery County, a 24-year-old garbage collector was killed yesterday morning when a trash truck backed over him as he leaned over to clean up two bottles in Silver Spring, county police said.

Eddy J. Rodriguez of the 300 block of University Boulevard in Langley Park, Prince George's County, jumped from the truck in the 3100 block of Beaverwood Lane to pick up the bottles at

about 6:45 a.m., police said.

But the driver did not realize Mr. Rodriguez was behind the vehicle and backed the truck into him, knocking him down. Still unaware of what had happened, the driver continued to back up the truck, running over Mr. Rodriguez, police said.

Mr. Rodriguez was dead at the scene. The driver, whom police did not identify, was not charged.

On the Eastern Shore, a Baltimore man was killed Friday night when the 1979 Honda in which he was a passenger ran off the road and hit two trees in the median strip of U.S. 50 near Whaleysville in Worcester County, state police said.

J. Dennis Berman, 18, of the 1100 block of St. Paul Street, who was riding in the left rear passenger seat, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said the vehicle was eastbound on U.S. 50 west of Hall Road at about 8:20 p.m., when the driver, Sean Michael Varga, 21, 7400 block of Park Drive in Baltimore County, lost control of the car while attempting to change lanes. The Honda crossed into the median, where the rear of the vehicle struck two trees before stopping in a drainage ditch.

Mr. Varga and two other Parkville men, Marshall Forrester, 18, of the 7900 Tilmont Avenue, and Matthew Ziehl, 18, of the 2600 block Taylor Avenue were taken by ambulance to Peninsula General Hospital Medical Center in Salisbury, where they were treated and released early yesterday morning, police said.

Police said charges are pending against Mr. Varga.

In Queen Anne's County, a 28-year-old Queenstown man was killed Friday night after he lost control of his 1985 Pontiac on Dulin Clark Road about one mile north of Route 18 in Centreville, state police said.

Alphonso Dion Tingle was driving northbound on Dulin Clark Road at about 10:50 p.m., when his car crossed the center line, ran off the road and slammed into a culvert, where it skidded into a tree, police said.

Mr. Tingle, who suffered massive head injuries, was taken to Memorial Hospital at Easton, where he later was pronounced dead, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.