A Mass of Christian burial for John J. Lancaster Jr., a retired extension service director for Prince George's County, was offered Aug. 1 at St. Michael's Roman Catholic Church in Ridge in St. Mary's County.
Mr. Lancaster, who lived in St. Mary's City, died of cancer July 30 at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. He was 68.
Born in St. Inigoes, Mr. Lancaster enlisted in the Army after graduating from St. Michael's School in Ridge and served in Normandy, Northern France, the Ardennes, the Rhineland and in Central Europe during World War II.
After the war, he went to the University of Maryland at College Park, graduating in 1950. He was a member of Alpha Zeta and Phi Kappa Phi. He obtained his master's degree in education in 1965.
Mr. Lancaster taught vocational agriculture at Margaret Brent High School in Helen in St. Mary's County from 1951 to 1954 and then went to work for the University of Maryland Extension Service in Leonardtown.
In 1956, he began working as training officer for the industrial relations department at the Patuxent Naval Air Test Center. While there, he set up an innovative education program for pilots and engineers.
Mr. Lancaster rejoined the extension service in February 1965 and became increasingly involved in environmental issues. He retired in June 1983 as Prince George's extension director and community resource development agent.
Mr. Lancaster served as president of the Maryland State Parent-Teacher's Association from 1969 to 1972 and worked with the Maryland State Advisory Council and Prince George's County Local Advisory Council on Vocational-Technical Education from 1970 to 1988.
Prominent in supporting the Maryland State Advisory Council for higher education, he also served several terms with the Prince George's County Youth Advisory Council.
He received numerous awards for his work with various voluntary groups.
Mr. Lancaster's family has a long history of public service. His grandfather, Simon Spearman Lancaster, served in Annapolis as both a member of the House of Delegates in 1900 and as senator in 1906, and his father, John J. Lancaster Sr., was the curator of the historic State House in St. Mary's City for 33 years.
He is survived by his wife of 42 years, the former Gloria Cawood of Washington; three daughters, Jan M. Lancaster of Washington, D.C., Terri L. Slavin of Silver Spring and Jeanne V. Lancaster of St. Mary's City; a son, John J. Lancaster III of St. Mary's City; two brothers, Harry S. Lancaster of Lexington Park and T. Charles Lancaster of St. Inigoes; three sisters, Sister Mary of the Good Shepherd of Chicago, Sister Mary Thecla of Baltimore and Sister Mary Kristen of Savannah, Ga.; and seven grandchildren.