Marijuana plants seized Security supervisor charged at BG&E site

August 10, 1991|By David Michael Ettlin and Liz Bowie

A security supervisor at the Calvert Cliffs nuclear power plant has been charged with growing a patch of nearly 900 marijuana plants found in late July on the Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. property, authorities said yesterday.

Cpl. Leslie A. Meyers, a detective in the Calvert County sheriff's office, said he and other deputies watched over the pot patch for three weeks, waiting to see who would show up to harvest the crop.

Late Thursday afternoon, they watched a man park a truck nearby, walk over to the hallucinogenic garden and pick a batch of leaves, stuffing them into a plastic Safeway grocery bag, Corporal Meyers said.

Arrested was 37-year-old William Joseph Flanagin of Lexington Park, a supervisor on the Calvert Cliffs security staff. He was charged with manufacturing marijuana and related offenses and released on $10,000 bond.

BG&E spokesman Arthur J. Slusark said Mr. Flanagin, whose job, he said, did not involve operation of the plant, has been suspended pending completion of police and company investigations.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission also was notified, Mr. Slusark added.

The Calvert Cliffs plant recently returned to service after a shutdown of more than a year for repairs and scrutiny by the regulatory commission. It remains under close observation, on the NRC's list of poorly operated nuclear plants.

Corporal Meyers said information from a source he could not divulge led to the discovery of the marijuana -- a patch measuring approximately 30 by 50 feet in an "isolated" section of BG&E's 2,200-acre Chesapeake Bay-front property in southern Calvert County.

He said the marijuana seizure was probably the largest in county history -- 898 plants, some of them as tall as 9 feet. Also confiscated were sprayers, tools and camouflage-painted buckets used to cultivate what Corporal Meyers described as "a well-groomed crop."

Authorities would not say whether any customers had been identified, but Corporal Meyers said the investigation was continuing.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.