'All America'?

It's your call

August 08, 1991

Baltimore was named an "All-America" city by the National Civic League this week. The League said the awared was presented to communities that show collaborative approaches to problem solving using community action involving the public, private and nonprofit sectors.

The Evening Sun wants to know what you think? Is Baltimore an All American City, or not?

The call is local and must be made from a touch-tone phone. The SUNDIAL number is 783-1800 or, in Anne Arundel County, 268-7736. When you reach SUNDIAL enter category 4600 and wait for instructions from the announcer. Call with your opinion between 10 a.m. and midnight. The results will be published in this section tomorrow.

"It's Your Call" represents a sampling of opinions from certain segments of the community, but it is not balanced demographically, as a scientific public opinion poll would be.

Needle access

The callers who responded to the question about sterile needle access for drug addicts were about as equally divided as possible. Of 341 callers, 171 said addicts should get sterile needles and 170 disagreed.

Of 339 callers, 176, or almost 52 percent, said distribution of sterile needles to addicts would prevent the spread of AIDS, and 163, or 48 percent, said it would not.

Free needle distribution would promote drug abuse, according to 192 callers, 56 percent of the total response of 340, while the remaining 148 callers, nearly 44 percent, disagreed.

"It's Your Call" represents a sampling of opinions from certain segments of the community, but it is not balanced demographically, as a scientific public opinion poll would be.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.