Sophie Sigourney Parr, artist, diesServices for Sophie...


August 08, 1991

Sophie Sigourney Parr, artist, dies

Services for Sophie Sigourney Parr, a multitalented artist who was the first gallery coordinator for Baltimore Clayworks, will be held at 11:45 a.m. tomorrow in the Garrison Forest School Chapel.

Ms. Parr died Tuesday at Johns Hopkins Hospital of leukemia which she successfully battled for 3 1/2 years in her determination to remain active. She was 32 and had returned to her parents' home in Glyndon in January for further medical treatments, having lived in Boston since 1989.

Born in Baltimore, Ms. Parr graduated from the Calvert School in 1970 and from the Garrison Forest School in 1977. She attended Oberlin College, pursuing musical interests in piano and dance but received her bachelor of fine arts degree in 1982 from Connecticut College.

In addition to piano and drawing, she experimented wit sculpting in metal and clay, and from 1983 to 1987 served as the first gallery coordinator at the Baltimore Clayworks in Mount Washington. She created droll finger puppets, popular with collectors, before they came into vogue.

While at the Clayworks, Ms. Parr took a special interest in the art enrichment program at the Mount Washington Elementary School, where she worked with children to develop their appreciation of all types of art. Especially popular were her child-sized papier-mache figures and a multisegmented Chinese dragon.

In 1987, Ms. Parr moved to San Diego, but when the leukemia was diagnosed, she returned home for treatment at Hopkins, receiving a bone marrow transplant from an older brother. By 1989, she was ableto move to Boston, where she took art courses and continued painting while her doctors expressed amazement that she was not using a wheelchair.

Ms. Parr had become a skilled watercolorist, accepting private commissions for homes and offices. When it became difficult for her to work on large projects, she put her energy into designing greeting cards and rubber stamps.

She is survived by her parents, Thomas D. R. and Jenepher Parr of Glyndon; two brothers, Thomas Dudley Riggs Parr Jr. of Kensington and Crawford Burton Parr of Telluride, Colo.; a sister, Amanda Parr of Glyndon; a grandmother, Mary Lawrason Wing of Ruxton; and her companion, Amy R. Lapidow of Boston.

The family suggested contributions for leukemia and bone marrow research in her memory to the Johns Hopkins Hospital Oncology Center, 600 N. Wolfe St., Baltimore 21205. A memorial service for Norman Percy Churchman, senior vice president and chairman of the board of the Enterprise Electric Co., will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Episcopal Church of the Messiah, 5801 Harford Road.

Mr. Churchman, of Bayonne Avenue in Hamilton, died unexpectedly Sunday of kidney failure at Union Memorial Hospital. He was 80.

A native of Detroit, Mr. Churchman graduated from the University of Detroit and studied finance at Wayne State University. During the 1930s in Detroit, he worked for the E. L. Hudson Co. and the W. E. Wood Construction Co. He became a partner in his father's brokerage firm, W. P. Churchman Co., in 1938.

In 1943, he moved to Baltimore, becoming one of three owners of Enterprise Electric. At first, he was secretary-treasurer, then president of the company from 1972 to 1981.

At the time of his death, he was senior vice president and chairman of the board of the company, now the largest unionized electrical contracting company on the East Coast, and involved with electrical work for the new Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Baltimore.

Enterprise Electric has handled many projects, including lighting Johns Hopkins Hospital, the Jones Falls Expressway and the Baltimore Beltway, Locust Point, Aberdeen Proving Ground and the University of Maryland Medical Center.

In August 1978, the city called upon Mr. Churchman to play electrical detective, after blackouts of the lights at home plate during four Orioles games -- one a nationally televised match with the Yankees -- and just days from a Colts-Redskins exhibition game.

Mr. Churchman was an early and active member of the American Subcontractors Association of Baltimore. He was a member of ** the Palestine Masonic Lodge No. 357 of Detroit and an active member and volunteer with the Salvation Army Children's Advisory Council.

In addition to his wife of 55 years, the former Virginia McClenaghan, he is survived by two sons, Robert A. Churchman and N. Frederick Churchman, both of Baltimore; two daughters, Jane A. Morsberger of Baltimore and Carol S. Gordon of Baja, Mexico; a brother, Arthur Churchman of Stuart, Fla.; nine grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. The family suggested memorial contributions to the Salvation Army or the Church of the Messiah.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.