A 34-year-old Sykesville man was found dead and his 30-year-old companion was discovered unconscious in a parking lot outside a Sykesville bar about 8 a.m. Saturday.
Dead is Dennis Gerald Seal, of the 6200 block of North Walnut Avenue in Sykesville. Seal was owner of SealTrucking Co. in Woodbine.
Seal's companion, T. J. Bowling Jr., of the 2500 block of Hobbs Road in Glenwood, was taken to Howard County General Hospital where heis in the critical care unit, police said.
Although the autopsy report is not complete, police say there was no sign of trauma to Seal's body. There were abrasions on Seal's face where he apparently fell, police said.
Police said Seal and Bowling had been "drinking heavily the night before and into the early morning." The pair was discovered at about 8 a.m., lying near a car in the parking lot at Duke's Place in Sykesville, police said.
The incident remains under investigation.
Later that day, police learned of two other deaths that apparently were not witnessed.
At about 6:30 p.m., police found the badly decomposed body of an unidentified man in a wooded area near the 1200 block of Frederick Road in West Friendship. A .22 caliber rifle was lying across the man's lap. Police estimate the body had beenin the woods two weeks or more.
An attempt to identify the man through his dental records proved unsuccessful, police said, although they believe he may be an Ellicott City man in his 20s. Police will try to gain a positive identification from the man's fingerprints. The state medical examiner is conducting an autopsy.
The third death occurred some time around midnight, police said, when William Allen Spencer, 29, of the 3600 Block of Mount Ida Drive, bled to death after cutting himself on a window he had broken in a basement door.
Spencer had been drinking, police said, and apparently had locked himselfout of his home. He was attempting to break in when he cut a major artery on his arm. He later was taken to St. Agnes Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Police are awaiting an autopsy report from the state medical examiner.
MAN KILLED WHEN CAR SLIDES OFF ROAD CURVE
A20-year-old Ellicott City man was killed just before midnight Saturday, when the car he was driving failed to negotiate a curve on Route 108 just east of Summer Hollow Drive in Columbia, police said.
Adon Joseph Phillips, of the 12000 block of Woodsperge Court in EllicottCity, was driving east on Route 108 when his car left the road, struck an embankment and rolled over, police said.
Police said preliminary factors indicate that excessive speed and alcohol contributed tothe accident, which remains under investigation.
MAN OVERCOME BY SMOKE IN KITCHEN FIRE
A 30-year-old Ellicott City man was overcome bysmoke and taken to Howard County General Hospital late yesterday morning when a kitchen fire broke out in his house, in the 2900 block ofRogers Avenue.
Fire officials from three stations -- Ellicott City, Bethany and Long Reach -- extinguished the fire, which was confined to the kitchen.
Officials said William Sauter, his wife Kathryn,33, and their three children were at home at the time of the fire but were able to escape before the seven units and 20 fire personnel arrived.
Sauter suffered "minor smoke inhalation," officials said.
Officials said the fire was caused by "improper use of cooking materials." Fire damage to the kitchen was estimated at $30,000. Heat andsmoke damage to the living room was also estimated at $30,000.
"There was no indication that a smoke detector was present or activating," fire officials said.
FIRE SET BY CHILDREN INJURES FIREFIGHTER
A 17-year-old volunteer Lisbon firefighter suffered burns to his right hand, foot, shoulder and neck last week while responding to a $66,000 fire believed set by children playing with gasoline and matches ata storage shed.
Joe Rollison was taken to Howard General Hospitalfor treatment and later released.
Rollison was one of 25 firefighters from 10 units representing the Lisbon, West Friendship and Carroll County Sykesville stations who responded to a 5:40 p.m. fire in the 14800 block of Bushy Park Road in Cooksville, Friday.
Two 1982 automobiles were destroyed along with lawn care equipment and miscellaneous tools at a former house modified into a shop, fire officials said. They estimate the damage at $65,850.
TANK MALFUNCTIONS BUT DOUSESFIRE
An electrical malfunction on a 75-gallon aquarium caused $3,000 damage last week to a Whiskey Bottom apartment, fire officials said.
The fire was already extinguished -- apparently by water from the aquarium -- when firefighters from Savage arrived at 9:45 p.m. Friday at the apartment of James and Robin McNaulty, in the 9100 block of Tumbleweed Run in north Laurel, officials said. They estimated thedamage to the living room floor, aquarium and room furnishings at $3,000.