Admirals Steer Deftly Past Freetown, 53-36

Height Advantage Is Key In Season-ending Game

August 02, 1991|By John Harris III : | John Harris III :,Staff writeR

With first place in the division sewed up, the Flying Admirals foundenough energy with just six players to end their season with an exclamation point.

Yesterday, in its regular-season finale, the Admirals -- mostly Severna Park and Severn high school students -- used their superior height inside to upend the Freetown Posse, 53-36, in a Boys Summer League Basketball matchup at Lake Waterford Park in Pasadena.

Not only the victors were few in number; Freetown, which carries 11 players on its regular roster, managed to keep the majority of thecontest relatively close despite competing with just five players, all under 6 feet tall.

"We could have definitely used our big men tonight," said Joe Brown, Freetown's head coach. "They just had too much height inside."

Gerald Cager (6-foot-4) led the winners with a game-high 16 points, most off offensive rebounds and short jumpers inthe lane. Severna Park High teammate Scott Brown (6-foot-4) tallied 11 points (all in the second half), while Mount St. Joseph junior varsity guard Tony Curro added eight.

"They (Freetown) have a lot of quick players on that team. If they had a big man in there, it could have really been tough," said Flying Admirals coach Joe Moran, who shares coaching duties with son Darrick.

The Admirals (8-1) jumped out to an 18-10 lead with five minutes left in the first half on a follow-up basket by Chad Moran. Freetown than ran off five straight points on a Ray Harrod free throw, a Roland Gross (12 points) layup off apicture-perfect bounce pass from Dennis White and a tip-in by MarvinBrown (10 points).

Max Kruger and Curro buried consecutive jumpers to break the Posse's spell, before Marvin Brown's foul shot made the score 22-16 at intermission.

The Admirals went on a 12-4 tear atthe start of the second half, with Cager pounding the boards for sixduring the spree.

A twisting layup by Gross with less than four minutes left brought the Posse to within 10, at 45-35. But the Admirals then went on a 8-1 run, with Scott Brown ending the game with a two-handed dunk.

"We were 3-0 at the beginning of the season, and nowwere 4-4," said a disappointed Marvin Brown, a reserve guard on lastseason's Annapolis High's' state semifinalists. "We started out really good, then people had to start missing games because of work. But that's OK, I think we're going to be ready for the tournament (Aug 5-7). I think we'll last for a while, if everyone comes back."

Joe Moran said, "I think we had a very good regular season. I don't think the kids have been looking past anyone. They didn't really start to talk about the tournament until tonight. It's hard to say what'll happen then, but I think we'll do all right."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.