NBA stars undecided about OlympicsMichael Jordan and...

Sports briefly

July 30, 1991

NBA stars undecided about Olympics

Michael Jordan and Patrick Ewing are undecided about whether they would accept invitations to be on the U.S. basketball team for next year's Olympics, the agent for the players said yesterday.

The agent, David Falk, and the NBA denied a report in yesterday's Chicago Tribune that Jordan of the Chicago Bulls, and Ewing of the New York Knicks, turned down offers to play in the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona, Spain. That is the first year when NBA players will be eligible.

Jordan and Ewing have previously said they are uncertain about whether they would play if invited.

The newspaper, citing unidentified NBA sources, also said Magic Johnson of the Los Angeles Lakers, David Robinson of San Antonio, Scottie Pippen of Chicago, Chris Mullin of Golden State, Karl Malone of Utah and Isiah Thomas of Detroit were among others invited. All have previously indicated that they would play asked.

NBA members of the team are scheduled to be announced officially on Sept. 21.

* Forward-center Scott Williams, considered a possible replacement for Bill Cartwright if the Chicago Bulls cannot retain their veteran free-agent center, has received a three-year offer from an Italian League team that is estimated to be worth at least $1 million per season.

Track and field

South Africa's top track and field athletes, despairing over their squabbling officials, threatened to mount their own bid to enter international competition in time for the world athletics championships in Tokyo next month.

The athletes, angry about a decision by officials to turn down an invitation to the Tokyo championships, refused to give details after meeting behind closed doors.

But they said there could be a strong backlash.

"There's going to be fireworks, and soon. We are running out of time," U.S.-born former javelin world record holder Tom Petranoff, who has taken South African citizenship, said after the meeting.


Jeffrey Modisett, the prosecutor for Marion County, Ind., announced yesterday that he was asking that a special grand jury be convened within two weeks to look into allegations that Mike Tyson raped a woman at an Indianapolis hotel 11 days ago.

Modisett said that Tyson, the former heavyweight boxing champion, would be asked to testify but wouldn't be obligated to appear before the grand jury.

In a complaint filed July 20 with the Indianapolis Police Department, a woman accused Tyson of sexually assaulting her in his room at a downtown Indianapolis hotel at about 1:30 a.m. on July 19.

The fighter was in the city to appear at the Indiana Black Expo, a convention including entertainment and presentations on black issues.

"Tyson will receive a subpoena to appear in front of the grand jury and then, whether he honors it, will be up to his attorneys," said Lt. Tim Horty, a spokesman for the police department. "The fact that it's a 'special' grand jury implies that the ongoing grand jury has a full agenda and the prosecutor wants to handle the case expeditiously."

Horse racing

Trainer Nick Zito announced that Angel Cordero Jr. would replace Chris Antley aboard Strike The Gold in the Travers Stakes at Saratoga on Aug. 17.

"It's just a change, that's all" said Zito. "Angel's always been at the top at Saratoga and I think he'll fit him [Strike The Gold]. That's not to say that the horse wouldn't win the Travers with Chris, but everything's out of sync right now, so we wanted to make a change. It's not a crucial thing."


A month and a half after folding the newspaper, the owners of The National sports daily are talking with a potential buyer who could relaunch it in some fashion, editor and publisher Frank Deford said.

Deford said he expected a decision on a sale could be made within a week or so. He declined to identify the potential buyer.


The first round of the annual Middle Atlantic PGA Head Pro championship scheduled for yesterday at Westwood Country Club in Vienna, Va., was canceled because of rain. The 36-hole event has been shortened to a single 18-hole round today at Westwood.


The Baltimore Bears semipro team won their season opener Saturday, 12-6, over the Shenango Valley Blasters in Sharon, Pa. Former Towson State All-America and ex-NFL quarterback Ron Meehan was 15 of 24 passing for 146 yards in the victory.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.