Eugene Y. Hsi, engineer and activist, dies at 67
Services for Eugene Y. Hsi, president of a civil engineering consulting firm who was active in several other businesses and cultural groups, will be held at 1 p.m. Thursday at the Ruck Towson Funeral Home, 1050 York Road.
Mr. Hsi, who was 67 and lived in Towson, died Sunday at St. Joseph Hospital after a stroke.
He was president of Transviron Inc., a Lutherville engineering company specializing in water and sewer projects. He was a founder of the firm, then known as Hsi, Brenner and Day, in 1961.
He also owned the Sugar Plum, a candy and gift shop in the same building.
In the early 1970s, he was a partner in the Mandarin House Restaurant on University Parkway and then became a partner in the Bamboo Inn in Catonsville. For a short time in the 1980s, he was also a partner in the Last Chance Inn in Columbia.
A member of the board of the Chinese Language School of Baltimore and the council of the Hackerman House, he also was a founder of the Baltimore-Washington Chapter of Rho Psi Fraternity.
He was active in the Chinese Folk Art Corp., a promoter of Chinese art and culture that supports itself by running Pearl's Catering, a Cockeysville carryout shop.
A former president and a member of the board of the Organization of Chinese Americans, he also was active in the Baltimore's sister city program with Xiamen, China, and helped to organize a trip by Gov. William Donald Schaefer to Taiwan to promote trade.
Born in Shanghai, he earned a degree in civil engineering at St. John's University there before coming to the United States in 1948. He did graduate work at Oklahoma State University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, earning degrees in sanitary engineering.
He worked for the state health department and for another engineering firm after coming to the Baltimore area in 1954.
Active in the St. John's University alumni association in the United States, he also had returned to China to lecture at universities there.
He often played tennis, most recently at the Bare Hills Tennis Club.
Mr. Hsi is survived by his wife, the former Eugenia Huang; two daughters, Emily Hsi Hoover of Belcamp and Deborah Hsi of Houston, Texas; two brothers, Paul Hsi of Sidcup, England, and Freddie Hsi of Taipei, Taiwan; a sister, Lucille Choy of Hong Kong; and a granddaughter.
Emma M. Fagan
Former tavern operator
A Mass of Christian burial for Emma M. Fagan, who helped her husband operate Fagan's Tavern for many years, will be offered at 10 a.m. Thursday at St. Peter the Apostle Roman Catholic Church, Poppleton and Hollins streets.
Mrs. Fagan, who was 79 and lived on South Fulton Avenue, died Sunday at Bon Secours Hospital of a circulatory disorder.
The former Emma Marie Johanson was a native of Baltimore and a graduate of St. Martin's School and Fourteen Holy Martyrs Business School.
She worked as a telephone operator and later as manager of a drug store on Wilkens Avenue near Caton Avenue.
In addition to her husband, John J. Fagan, Sr., her survivors include three sons, John J. Fagan Jr., Robert I. Fagan and John J. Fagan III, all of Baltimore; two sisters, Teresa G. Johanson and Doris E. Hall, both of Florida; 10 grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.
Doreen A. Hill
Services for Doreen A. Hill, a nurse who supervised the obstetrics and gynecology department of the East Baltimore Medical Center, will be held at 7 p.m. tomorrow at the March Funeral Home, 1101 E. North Ave.
Mrs. Hill, who was 34 and lived on Ayleshire Road, died Saturday at Good Samaritan Hospital of complications after surgery.
She had worked since 1987 at the center at Eager and Aisquith streets, which was part of the Johns Hopkins Health Plan, now the Prudential Health Care Plan.
Earlier, she had worked as a nurse at St. Joseph Hospital for a year after being licensed as a registered nurse in 1986.
Before starting her nursing career, she had worked as a unit clerk at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center.
The former Doreen A. Thompson was a native of Baltimore and a graduate of Eastern High School. She earned a nursing degree at Coppin State College in 1984.
She was a member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority.
Her husband, Purnell B. Hill, is a construction worker.
In addition to her husband, her survivors include five sisters, Jacqueline and Karen Thompson, both of Baltimore; Carenthia Jackson of Baltimore; Barbara Taylor of Wallkill, N.Y.; and Antoinette Mollar of Baltimore; and many nieces and nephews.
Services for Walter Reed, a retired track inspector for the Baltimore and Ohio railroad, will be held at 7 p.m. today at the Simmons Memorial Baptist Church, Pennsylvania Avenue and Cumberland Street.
Mr. Reed, who was 72, died Friday of cancer at his home on Clifton Avenue.
He retired in 1978 after working for the railroad in Baltimore for 33 years. Earlier, he worked for Archer Laundry.
During World War II, he served in the Army and was decorated for his service in Italy.
A native of Caroline, Va., he came to Baltimore as a child with his family.
He was ordained in 1980 as a deacon at Simmons Memorial Baptist Church.
Mr. Reed is survived by his wife, the former Ethel Mae Pitcher; a son, Phillip Reed of Baltimore; a brother, James E. Williams of Baltimore; and a grandson.