Joe Records, saving his best golf for last, snapped a seven-year slump at Hunt Valley, recapturing the club's match play championship with a 3-and-2 victory over Dan Walko in a scheduled 27-hole final.
The long-driving Records came from behind with five birdies on his last eight holes. Although Records is a four-time past winner and holds the non-competitive course record at Hunt Valley with a 12-under-par score of 60, he has been shut out of club championship play for the last seven years.
Records trailed 1-down after nine holes and the match was even going to No. 18. From this point, however, Records closed matters with his of birdies. Oddly enough the finalists tied only three times in the 25 holes played.
Elsewhere in area golf:
* Winters Run -- Dave Thomas won the club's match play championship, defeating former winner Pete Rivera 1-up. Other flight finals saw: (1)-Dave Cox defeat Buddy Powers 3-2, (2)-Keith Barnett defeat Bob Kramer 4-3, (3)-Tom Herman defeat Jim Riley 2-1, (4)-Tom Devlin defeat Doug Schafran 4-3 and (5)-Rick Amoroso defeat Dennis Davison 4-3.
George Trimble scored a hole-in-one on the seventh hole.
* Rolling Road -- Butch Smith is the club's new senior champion. Smith won the 36-hole test, scoring 73 and 74 for a 147 total. Net winners in the various age classes were: Tom Rea 133, Dave Jaques 131, Guy Daniello 122, Jim Dougherty 134 and Mike Penyak 132.
Overall winner in the Cross Tourney was Guy Daniello, scoring 84-23--61. Flight leaders were (A)-Dick Larmer 75-11--64, Dan O'Brien 72-8--64; (B)-Dave Jaques 79-16--63, Bill Lombardi 77-14--63 and (C)-Mike Penyak 87-23--64 and Leo Himmel 84-20--64.
* Rocky Point -- Gene Welsh, the defending champion, led first-round play in the 36-hole stroke play championship, scoring 70. He was followed by Joe Kachinski with 74. The final round will be played Sunday.
* Baltimore CC -- John Snead Jr. turned back Doug Dollenberg, the defending champion, in quarterfinal play of the Rosson Cup competition. In other matches, Andrew Thomas defeated Bill Clark, Byron Hertslet defeated Dennis Townsend and Jack Phillips defeated Jim Wetzel.
Bob Kaestner established a non-competitive course record for the club's West course, carding 37-30--67. He was in a foursome with Bob Lee, Mike McShane and Tom Hurst.
Joe Fitzpatrick scored a hole-in-one on the 13th hole of the West Course.
* Woodholme -- Sam Bereson won the club's Senior Championship carding a 36-hole 165 total. Ed Gutman was runner-up with 145. Net winners were Richard Talkin with 145 and Gene Schreiber 146.
Rich Pachino scored a hole-in-one on the 17th hole.
* Piney Branch -- The Member-Guest tournament produced the following winners: Overall net-Denny Myers and Bill Maylor 139 points, overall gross-Doug Jacobs and Bob Vespa 110 points. Flight winners were Scott Williams and Chris Farrell, Bob Harry and Wayne Kirk, Paul Staub and John Gallagher, Bob Sewell and Randy Dielski and Stan Murray and Bruce Parrish.
Overall net winners in foursome play with a 278 total were Jim Staymates, Arch Staymates, Gerard McDonnell and Mike Hennessey. The winning gross team, with 119, included Steve Yount, Jay Gynn, Bill Lancaster and Eric Herman.
Flight winners in the four-man teams were: (1)-Gary Culver, Rick Wilson, Nelson Johnson and Jim Nesbitt; (2)-Roger Leonard, Dick Colonell, Dan O'Brien and Stu Thompson; and (3)-Bill Hedrick, Mike Hedrick, Mike Hedrick Jr. and Pete Rice.
* Clifton Park -- Leading teams in the Oldsmobile Scramble tournament were: (Low gross)-Michael Mansinger, James Shifflet, Parker Parsons and Joe Steneman with 53 and Norman Dowdy, Ed Stanley, Ed Smith and Mel Fleming with 56. (Low net)-Dennis Lynn, Frank Pastore, Ed Matczuk and Gary Matz 54 and Mark Kelbaugh, Bryan Kelbaugh, Daniel Farver and Terry Buckingham 55.
* Bonnie View -- Charles Siegel scored a hole-in-one on the 197-yard 12th hole.
* Pine Ridge -- Team play in the Senior Men's group produced the following winners: George Ritchie, Stew Burk, John Payne and M.R. Zee 66; Fritz Brennan, Bob Snyder, Bob Cleary and Joe Fulca 69; Harry Cunningham, Jack Hanson, Norm Mattfeld and George Carter 70; Russ Dodge, Jack Wiser, John MaGuire and Lee Haley 70; Dick Ingle, Will Shackelford, Erick Lindbeck and Calvin Cahall 70; and Don McMasters, Neil Bowden, Vernon Gallaway and George Eierman 71.
* Turf Valley -- The foursome of Tim Carr, Rick O'Riley, Del Litmar and Dewey Young scored a winning 39 score in the point system event. Low net went to the team of Pete Ferrell, Frank Guzman, Joe Lucido and Bob Rieser.
* Elkridge -- The combination of Charles Albert and Teddy Frank won overall honors in the Member-Guest tournament. Second place went to Bucky Harris and Linsey Dryden.
* C.C. of Md. -- Al Mank and Alan Anthony, with a gross score of 65-66--131, led the Thomas Cosgrove Memorial Tournament. Leading net teams were Tom Wagner and Charles Fick 115, Bob Jones and Belden Burns 119 and Kevin Kavanaugh and Conni Lanzi 120.
Two teams tied for low gross in the Oldsmobile Scramble tournament. Deadlocked with scores of 57 are the foursomes of Charles Harris, Jean Mulcahey, Don Mulcahey and Ed Lochte, and Mike Brooks, Tom Elliott, Stu Dunn and Joe Franz III.
* Md. Golf -- Eileen Burt and Ralph Ingerson won the mixed two-ball tournament, scoring 58. They were followed by Jeanne Shehan and Dave Hanson 63 and Bonnie Hanson and Mark Moffitt 64.
* Sparrows Point -- In quarterfinal matches of the Senior Championship, Bill Spann defeated Jim Snyder 2-1, Jim Burman defeated Tony Russo 4-3, Bob Long defeated Stu Shinnick 4-3 and Chuck Smith defeated Dave Watson 1-up. Results of the Super Senior division saw Bill Terry defeat Bob Trible 2-1, Bob Bellamy defeat Josh Zahurak in 19 holes, Al Stone defeat Frank )) Embareino 5-4 and Ed Samuels defeat Russ Jones 4-2.