Ex-coach Sought Again In Rape Case

Bond Revoked, Prosecutor Says Witness Threatened

July 19, 1991|By Jay Apperson | Jay Apperson,Staff writer

A former roller skating coach accused of raping two teen-age girls threatened to kill a potential witness in his upcoming trial, a countyprosecutor said yesterday after a judge revoked the man's bond and issued a warrant for his arrest.

Police last night were searching for the 37-year-old Jessup man, who prosecutors say made intimidating telephone calls to a 13-year-old Howard County girl and tried to enter her home earlier this week.

After the girl called 911 to report the harassment, the man threatened to kill her if she called police again, Assistant State's Attorney Kathleen E. Rogers said.

Rogers said the girl, a friend of oneof the alleged rape victims, is a potential witness in the man's trial, scheduled for Oct. 17.

The man had been free on $42,000 bond since July 2. He was indicted last month on charges of first-degree rape, child abuse and first-degree sex offenses in cases involving a 12-year-old girl who was a member of the roller skating team he coachedand a 14-year-old girl who was a regular at the rink.

His 14-year-old son faces similar charges as a juvenile in connection with incidents involving the younger girl.

According to District Court records, the man allegedly first raped the 12-year-old last July in a roomat the Laurel Skating Center in Howard County.

The girl told authorities the coach and his son held her down and undressed her. The coach pinned her arms and allegedly raped her after the son left the room, then the son returned and raped her, she said.

The charging document says the coach told the 12-year-old he had videotaped the rapeand threatened to show it to people if she did not consent to more. Other incidents occurred in August, October and December 1990 and in January at the family's trailer in Jessup, according to court records. The girl reported the incidents to Prince George's County police, who passed the case on to Anne Arundel County police. The 14-year-old girl allegedly was assaulted at the trailer on several occasions lastApril and May.

The former coach, who said he also did maintenanceand security work at the rink, left his job there in March. In a questionnaire contained in court files, the man says he earns $200 a week as a self-employed master mechanic. He is on parole after serving part of a 10-year prison sentence for daytime break-ins.

He was arrested May 21 and charged in the case involving the 12-year-old. He was freed May 30, when District Judge Clayton Greene reduced bail in that case from $50,000 to $25,000. The 14-year-old boy was in the custody of his parents.

Detective Jay Clark of the Anne Arundel County Police Department's sex offense unit said information about the second girl surfaced as prosecutors were preparing to present the first case to a grand jury. Prosecutors got indictments in both cases June 10.

On July 2, the man was released on a total of $17,400 bond in six cases involving the 14-year-old.

The former coach, whose name isbeing withheld by The Anne Arundel County Sun to protect the juveniles in the case, has described the charges against him as "pure unadulterated bull----."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.