50 Years Ago (week of July 13-19, 1941):
* The Ellicott Theatre on Main Street in Ellicott City celebrated its grand opening this week, screening "The Devil and Miss Jones" as its first feature. The new theater was touted for its state-of-the art sound, projections and lighting equipment, as well as for its comfortable seats and up-to-daterestroom facilities. Admissions was 25 cents, plus tax, for adults in the evening, and 15 cents for matinees. Admission for children was a dime at all times.
* Russell L. Mullineaux was the guest of honor this week at a farewell party given at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles D. Warfield by the Presbyterian Sunday School and the Young People's Society for Christian Endeavor. Mullineaux was leaving to join the Naval Reserve in Hagerstown.