U.N. expects Iraq to give new list of nuclear sites

July 14, 1991|By New York Times News Service

BAGHDAD, Iraq -- Iraq is expected by today to submit a new list of clandestine nuclear installations and equipment that it failed to declare to the United Nations last Sunday, the chief U.N. nuclear inspector here announced yesterday.

The inspector, Dimitri Perricos, said the new list was likely to give details of specialized nuclear storage sites, manufacturing plants and nuclear installations where research and development was carried out.

Such centers were omitted from the inventory that Iraq gave the United Nations last Sunday in response to a strongly worded statement issued by the U.N. Security Council. Baghdad had previously asserted that it had no secret nuclear programs

The United States said the first list was inadequate and accused Iraqi President Saddam Hussein of still trying to hide some of his most dangerous nuclear equipment. The Security Council has said Iraq's nuclear weapons materials must be destroyed or removed under the cease-fire resolution that ended the Persian Gulf war.

At the United Nations, diplomats say the five permanent Security Council members -- the United States, Britain, France, the Soviet Union and China -- plan to set a July 25 deadline for Iraq to declare all of its secret nuclear sites. Bush administration officials have warned that the United States might bomb undeclared Iraqi nuclear installations after that date.

Yesterday, National Security Adviser Brent Scowcroft confirmed that the United States was willing to take military action against Baghdad if it did not stop efforts to develop nuclear weapons. He told reporters traveling with President Bush in Kennebunkport, Maine, that U.S. officials hoped Mr. Hussein "would see the path of reason and back down, but we are looking at what might be necessary if he doesn't."

The Iraqi government suggested yesterday that the United States was pressing new nuclear demands on Baghdad as a pretext for maintaining a trade embargo that Washington hopes will eventually force Mr. Hussein from power.

In a statement that appeared in the Arabic-language press yesterday, Foreign Minister Ahmed Hussein Khudayer said threats of renewed bombing attacks were a continuation of the campaign that the United States and Israel has pursued against Iraq's nuclear programs, which he said were for peaceful purposes, since 1981, when Israeli warplanes destroyed Iraq's Osirak reactor.

Mr. Perricos said there was no guarantee that the new Iraqi list of nuclear installations he expected to receive by today would be complete and final. But he said Iraq was cooperating well with his inspectors, who are visiting all of the Iraqi installations declared so far.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.