Rypien unsigned as camp set to open Agent, Casserly say accord not imminent

July 13, 1991|By Vito Stellino

Quarterback Mark Rypien will be a holdout when the Washington Redskins open camp tomorrow in Carlisle, Pa., his agent, Ken Staninger, said yesterday.

"We're not going to get an agreement this weekend," Staninger said. "I don't think he'll be there Monday or Tuesday, either."

Charley Casserly, the Washington general manager, didn't disagree with Staninger's assessment, but would only say the two sides are talking.

Rypien's holdout won't be a surprise because the two sides have been at odds for over a year. Last year, Rypien, who wanted a two-year deal for $3 million, turned down a Washington offer for $2.4 million over three years to play out his option at $300,000.

Rypien wants at least the average quarterback salary of about $1.4 million a year, while the Redskins are believed to be offering $1 million. Staninger said the two sides aren't at an impasse and he's optimistic a deal will be worked out soon.

Rypien's absence will give his backup, Stan Humphries, a chance to jump ahead -- but it won't be a big jump because Rypien was only scheduled to be in camp until Wednesday.

Rypien won't be in danger of falling behind unless he's still holding out a week from Monday, when all the veterans are due to have their first practice. Humphries and Cary Conklin, who spent last season on the injured reserve list, were due to get most of the work the first week.

It's uncertain if the Redskins will have any other holdouts tomorrow. Casserly said he's still talking with the agents for the first two draft picks, defensive tackle Bobby Wilson and running back Ricky Ervins.

The other seven draft picks are expected to sign tomorrow when they arrive at camp.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.