Rosecroft cancels plan for fall break Racing commission OKs change, which is due to impending sale

July 11, 1991|By Marty McGee

Rosecroft Raceway will not take a nearly three-week break in its fall schedule as originally planned, track general manager Tom Barry said yesterday at a meeting of the Maryland Racing Commission.

The commission, undertaking a light agenda at its monthly meeting at the Timonium Fairgrounds, approved the final segment of Rosecroft's 1991 schedule.

The track had planned to be dark for the first 13 racing nights of the 62-night span, which runs from Sept. 15 through Dec. 21, but Barry said the impending sale of Rosecroft and Delmarva Downs "made it best to run, considering the ongoing circumstances."

California businessman Frederick Weissman has agreed to buy the track from its current owner, Mark Vogel. Barry said the sale should be completed some time in October.

Barry said a refresher period was the original intention for the Sept. 15-Oct. 3 break.

Yesterday's meeting marked the first for John H. "Jack" Mosner Jr. as chairman. Mosner, appointed last week by Gov. William Donald Schaefer, addressed the commission and a small gathering for about 15 minutes on some personal views about racing.

Among other things, Mosner said he would like to see commission-monitored suggestion boxes at all Maryland tracks, commission support for an off-track betting bill in 1992, and increased exposure by the local electronic media on racing.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.