Man's Face Crushed In Party Fight

Woman's Escort Caught In Hillsmerebrawl

4 Others Also Injured

July 09, 1991|By Peter Hermann | Peter Hermann,Staff writer

Kenneth L. Rudd went to the party in Hillsmere early Sunday morning only to accompany a female friend who was worried that the gathering might be rowdy.

When he arrived shortly before 3 a.m., Rudd got caught in the middle of an altercation and ended up in the hospital awaiting surgery to repair his face, which was crushed with a baseball bat.

Now, the 25-year-old University of Maryland graduate's plans to begin law school are on hold.

"It is a shame," said Rudd's father, Lee. "It really makes me very sad to see the violence that is prevalent now."

Rudd went to home, in the 100 block of Edgemere Drive, inbetween the two fights, which occurred about two hours apart. Three people were injured in the first fight, and two, including Rudd, werehurt in the second. All but Rudd were treated and released from areahospitals.

County police say the first fight began about 1:15 a.m. when three uninvited guests were asked to leave. A police officer driving by the house reported hearing glass breaking. He went inside, he said, and saw a fight in the living room, with people being beatenwith hockey sticks and a crowbar.

The injured were listed as: David D. Lindsey, 23, of the 10000 block of Fox Den Road, Ellicott City;Bruce B. Beardmore, 20, of the 8000 block Mimico South, Millersville; and Elizabeth J. Seymore, 19, of the 300 block Melvin Avenue, Annapolis.

A police report says an officer ordered the three uninvited guests to leave the party, then continued his patrol.

But the three returned at 3:15 a.m., police say, and another fight broke out in the back yard. Rudd, who lives in the 1000 block of Havre De Grace Road in Edgewater, and David S. Bontempo, 25, of the 200 block King George Street, Annapolis, were injured in the altercation.

Rudd was admitted to Anne Arundel Medical Center with severe facial injuries. His father said Rudd's face was crushed with the bat, and that his son will need a metal plate to repair the damage. He said surgery is scheduled for today.

"He got caught outside," Lee Rudd said. "Most of the kids made it back in the house."

The elder Rudd said his son was called by the older sister of Jacqueline Jessica Heeney, 18, who was the host of the party while her parents were away, and went with the older sister to check on the situation.

Joseph Heeney, Jacqueline's father, said he and his wife returned home yesterday morning andfound their home damaged. He said he had no idea what it would cost to make repairs. He also said he and his wife did not know their daughter was throwing a party.

Lee Rudd questioned why police did not arrest the three gate-crashers after the first fight, instead of sending them on their way.

"It was an attempted murder," he said. "We are pursuing that with police. (They) were there without invitation. They were trespassing. They offered resistance when asked to leave. Arresting them the first time around would have certainly saved my son."

Police have arrested a 17-year-old from Annapolis and charged him with assault with intent to maim. They say the other two suspects are adults and will be charged when arrested.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.