Two days after it nearly leveled a home and killed Martha Budzynski, the explosion, believed caused by a propane leak, still echoes through the Pasadena neighborhood.
"The men were there this morning going through the house," said Margaret Phelps, who lives across the street from the Budzynski home. "I still can't believe it."
Officials from the state fire marshal's office yesterday worked to stabilize the home before beginning their investigation of the blast, which ripped through the house in the 600 block of Opel Road about 5 p.m. Sunday. It caused the roof to collapse and punched a large hole in the right side of the house.
"Everyone is upset," Phelps said. "This is such a loss for us and for them. Everything they accumulated was in that home."
Firefighters arrived on the scene to find Edward Budzynski, 74, lying in the driveway. Investigators believe the force of the explosion propelled Budzynski from the home. He was taken to North Arundel Hospital in Glen Burnie for treatment of head and leg injuries.
His wife, Martha, 75, was found unconscious on the living room couch. She also was taken to North Arundel Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
The explosion, which caused about $200,000 in damage to the Budzynskis' home, rocked the entire neighborhood, Phelps said.
While neighbors mourned the loss of their friend, they sought solace in the knowledge that no one else was injured and no tTC other homes sustained any damage.
"We were just sitting around saying how lucky we were," Phelps said. "Still our natural concern is for what's happened to these people."
Phelps, who has lived in the neighborhood since 1951, said she remembered when the Budzynskis moved across the street about 30 years ago.
The Budzynskis reared eight children, Phelps said.
"She was a mother. That tells it all."