Ten area servicemen recently completed basic military training.
Those finishing at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, S.C., were:
* Pvt. Jeffrey J. Kalwa, son of Madeline M. Hicks of Glen Burnie and Joseph S. Kalwa of Severn. He is a 1988 graduate of Glen Burnie Senior High School.
* Pvt. Jeffrey D. Miller, son of Elaine S. Reedof Glen Burnie. He is a 1990 graduate of Glen Burnie Senior High School.
* Pfc. James M. Douglas, son of James M. Douglas of Riva. He is a 1990 graduate of Catonsville High School.
* Pfc. Paul W. Barnes, son of Barbara E. Douglas of Arnold. He is a 1990 graduate of Broadneck Senior High School.
* Pfc. Albert A. Olsen, son of Steve H.Olsen of Dunkirk. He is a 1989 graduate of Northern High School, Owings.
Those completing recruit training at Recruit Training Command, Orlando, Fla., are:
* Navy Seaman Recruit Matthew R. McMahon, son of Susan P. McMahon of Annapolis and Joseph G. McMahon of Crofton.
* Navy Seaman Recruit Christine L. Scheer, daughter of Jert G. Young of Severn and James E. Young of Millersville. She is a 1988 graduate of Meade Senior High School.
Two recent graduates at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, are:
* Airman Christopher L. Pfaff, son of Frederick L. and Loretta M. DeManss of Annapolis. The airman is a 1989graduate of Chesapeake Senior High School.
* Airman Derek M. Herndon, son of John F. Herndon Sr. and Mary I. Herndon of Pasadena. He is a 1990 graduate of Northeast High School.
Navy Seaman Recruit Karl E. Philips, son of Gary E. Phillips of Baltimore, completed training at Recruit Training Command, San Diego.
ILLUSTRATION: PHOTO 1
CAPTION: DEREK M. HERNDON
Completes basic training
ILLUSTRATION: PHOTO 2
CAPTION: CHRISTOPHER L. PFAFF
Finishes basic training
PORRAS WINS MEDAL
Staff Sgt. Robert L. Porras has been decorated with the Army Achievement Medal, awarded to soldiers for meritorious service, acts of courage or other outstanding accomplishments.
He is an infantryman at Camp Greaves, South Korea.
Porras is the son of Robert L. Porras Sr. of Van Nuys, Calif.
His wife, Belinda, is the daughter of John I. and Mary L. Staples of Odenton.
Lawrence P. Speer has been promoted in the U.S. AirForce to the rank of captain.
He is a pilot at Altus Air Force Base, Okla.
Speer is the son of Robert H. Speer of Baltimore and Lorraine N. Combs of Millersville.
He is a 1987 graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
Philip A. Garrant has been commissioned a second lieutenant through theAir Force ROTC program, and earned a bachelor's degree at Johns Hopkins University.
Garrant is the son of Richard and Martha Garrant of Hanover.
He graduated in 1987 from Meade Senior High School.
MAYFIELD TRAINED AS MP
Pvt. Brian S. Mayfield has completed basic military police training at Fort McClellan, Anniston, Ala.
Students are trained to provide support to the battlefield by conducting battlefield circulation control, area security, prisoner of war operations,civilian internee operations and law and order operations. Also included in the course were peacetime support to the military through security of resources, crime prevention programs and preservation of lawand order.
He is the son of Rex A. Mayfield and stepson of CherylJ. Mayfield of Millersville.
SEGELHORST ENDS COURSE
Navy Ensign Robert J. Segelhorst, son of Herb and Lorna Segelhorst of Davidsonville, has completed the Basic Surface Warfare Officer's Course.
Suring the 18-week course conducted at Surface Warfare Officers School, San Diego, Segelhorst was taught how to perform as watch and division officer aboard Navy ships.
He received extensive instruction on theduties of an underway officer of the deck, which included shiphandling and maneuvering in formation under simulated battle conditions. Healso studied radar detection, tracking and plotting of enemy aircraft, ships and missiles; communications; damage control and shipboard organization.
He is a 1986 graduate of South River High School and a 1990 graduate of North Carolina State University.
JOHNSON TRAINS INTEXAS
Airman Tina M. Johnson has graduated from the helicopter maintenance specialist course at Sheppard Air Force Base, Wichita Falls, Texas.
Students were taught the systems and components for inspection, repair and maintenance of helicopters in the Air Force. Included in the training were corrosion identification and cleaning and theuse of special tools.
She is the daughter of Dean L. Johnson of Troy, Pa., and Anita L. Smith of Odenton.