After scorching June, July gets off to cool start

July 01, 1991|By Joe Nawrozki | Joe Nawrozki,Evening Sun Staff Jacques Kelly and Richard Irwin contributed to this story.

Welcome to the first day of July, a respite from the withering heat and humidity of the last few days in the Baltimore metropolitan area.

At 1 p.m., the temperature in the city was a bearable 81 degrees.

Temperatures were predicted in the low to mid-80s today with much drier air, said Bill Miller, a forecaster for the National Weather Service.

So much for nice days.

By tomorrow, the dreaded heat and humidity will return and should continue into the long Fourth of July weekend.

A warm front is scheduled to move into the state by Tuesday evening, bringing with it hot and moist air. By the holiday, temperatures should be in the mid-90s or higher, the National Weather Service said.

According to Miller, a hot, arid month of June ended yesterday with a Baltimore city heat record being tied at 3:10 p.m. at the Custom House when the mercury hit 100 degrees. The record high minimum temperature for the date also was tied when 84 degrees was recorded at what is supposed to be the coolest part of the day -- 5 a.m.

Both records originally were established in 1959.

June was also a month during which farmers continued to express concern over their crops because of the sparse amount of rainfall.

Rainfall measures last month totaled only .62 inches at the Custom House and slightly more than 1 inch at Baltimore-Washington Airport.

The Baltimore Gas & Electric Co. reported two heat-related power outages in the area yesterday.

Utility officials said a defective cable kicked out power for approximately 3,200 customers in Northwest Baltimore's Pimlico section for about an hour before electrical service was restored.

Also, another bad cable blacked out the Village of Cross Keys near Roland Park and nearby traffic signals. Service was restored in both cases, officials said.

In the Edgemere section of Baltimore county, four firefighters dropped from heat exhaustion while battling a two-alarm fire in the 2500 block of Lakeview Ave.

The four were taken to Franklin Square Hospital where they were treated and released. A fifth firefighter was also treated for a slight cut.

The blaze extensively damaged the home of John and Delores Swoboda who were in Texas visiting a son who is ill. The cause is unknown.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.