Boy, 3, Shot In Gun Accident Near Release From Johns Hopkins

June 30, 1991|By Alan J. Craver | Alan J. Craver,Staff writer

A 3-year-old Edgewood boy, shot accidentally with his father's revolver on June 23, is expected to be released from the hospital this weekend.

He was reported in good condition Friday at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, where he had been flown after the shooting.

The boy, Christopher Gillespie, was injured when the gun discharged while he and his older brother were handling the weapon, the county Sheriff's Department said.

The incident has been classified an accidental shooting by the Sheriff's Department, but detectives from the department's criminal investigation division are handling the case.

The County State's Attorney's Office will be asked to review thecase. The Baltimore County Police Department, where the boys' fatherworks as a police officer, also will review the incident.

The boyand his 6-year-old brother, Jason, were "playing" with a .38-caliberrevolver in their home in the 1300 block of Harford Square Drive when the gun fired at 8:40 a.m., according to the Sheriff's Department.

The bullet struck the boy in the upper right chest, passed throughthe chest and lodged in a couch, the Sheriff's Department said.

Christopher Gillespie was flown to John Hopkins Hospital, where he underwent 1 1/2 hours of surgery to remove bone fragments and repair damaged tissue, the department said.

The gun belongs to the boys' father, Steven M. Gillespie, who has worked as a Baltimore County policeofficer for three years, the Sheriff's Department said.

The gun was not Gillespie's duty weapon, the Sheriff's Department said.

Theofficer, assigned to the North Point precinct, used the revolver while working at a second job as a security guard at a McDonald's restaurant in Essex, a spokesman for the Baltimore County police departmentsaid.

Gillespie returned to his home in the 1300 block of HarfordSquare Drive at about 1 a.m. Sunday after working at his security officer job, the spokesman said. The officer put the gun into a pouch on the table and then fell asleep in a chair. He woke up during the night and went to bed, leaving the gun on the table, where his sons found it in the morning.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.