Two burned seriously when stove on boat explodes, starts fire PHC

June 30, 1991

Two people were burned seriously yesterday on Rock Creek in Pasadena when the cooking stove on their boat exploded and engulfed the vessel in flames, according to the Anne Arundel County Fire Department.

Earl Christian, 50, of Catonsville, was refueling an alcohol stove in the cabin of his Sea Ray boat when the vapors ignited.

Fire officials said Mr. Christian was burned over 25 percent of his body, with second-degree burns on both legs and feet and his right hand.

He was flown by state police helicopter to the burn unit at Washington Hospital Center.

Mary Knight, 46, of Baltimore, was taken by ambulance to North Arundel Hospital and treated for first- and second-degree burns on both legs.

Two other people on board were on deck when the fire began, and they were not injured.

All four people on the boat jumped overboard and swam to shore. The boat was engulfed in flames by the time the fire department arrived.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.