Boy, 11, slain at home Rifle play with brother in Deale ruled accident.

June 28, 1991|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Evening Sun Staff

An 11-year-old boy died yesterday after being accidentally shot in the head with a rifle his brother was playing with at home in Deale, Anne Arundel County police reported.

The shooting was the second gun accident in the area this week involving a child. The 3-year-old son of a Baltimore County police officer was seriously wounded Sunday while he and his 6-year-old brother played with their father's off-duty revolver at home in Harford County.

In the Anne Arundel County shooting, police said the 11-year-old, Daniel R. Ford, and his brother, Patrick, no age given, of the 300 block of Bayfront Road, took a loaded .30-caliber rifle from a closet in their parents' bedroom about 10:30 a.m. yesterday.

Police said the parents were not at home. It was not known if anyone was caring for the children.

Police said Patrick Ford was handling the rifle and pointing it at his brother when the weapon discharged, hitting Daniel in the head.

Police said the incident was reported by a 911 call, but they did not know if Patrick Ford made the call.

Daniel Ford was rushed to the Washington Children's Center, where he was pronounced dead at 1:25 p.m.

Police said the death has been ruled an accident and no charges were expected to be placed against the brother.

In last Sunday's incident, Chris Gillespie was shot in the chest as he and his older brother, Jason, were handling their father's .38-caliber revolver at their home in the 1300 block of Harford Square Drive in Edgewood.

Police said the father, Officer Stephen Gillespie, of the North Point station, arrived home around 1 a.m. from a security job at a McDonald's restaurant in Essex and placed the loaded gun and its holster on a table before falling asleep in a chair.

When Gillespie awoke a short time later, he went upstairs to his bedroom but forgot about the gun.

Police said the children were alone in the living room around 11 a.m. and were handling the gun when it went off.

From his home, the wounded 3-year-old was airlifted to the pediatric intensive care unit at Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he remains today and is improving.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.