BASEBALL American League * Detroit Tigers -- Signed Justin Thompson (pitcher) and assigned him to Bristol of the Appalachian League.
* New York Yankees -- Traded Steve Adkins (pitcher) to the Chicago Cubs for David Rosario (pitcher) and assigned Rosario to Colombus of the International League.
* Seattle Mariners -- Re-instated Gene Harris (pitcher) from the disqualified list and assigned Harris to Calgary of the Pacific Coast League.
* Texas Rangers -- Announced Mark Petkovsek (pitcher) has cleared waivers and will be assigned outright to Oklahoma City of the American Association.
* Toronto Blue Jays -- Signed Theodore Langowski (first baseman), Jose Silva, Kenneth Robinson and Adam Meinershagen (pitchers) and Rickey Cradle (outfielder).
National League * Chicago Cubs -- Assigned Steve Adkins (pitcher) to Iowa of the American Association. Placed Danny Jackson (pitcher) on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to June 20. Recalled Frank Castillo (pitcher) from Iowa.
* Houston Astros -- Optioned Curt Schilling (pitcher) to Tucson of the Pacific Coast League. Activated Xavier Hernandez (pitcher) from the 15-day disabled list.
* New York Mets -- Optioned Rich Sauveur (pitcher) to Tidewater of the International League. Purchased the contract of Kelvin Torve (infielder) from Tidewater.
* Philadelphia Phillies -- Signed Tyler Green (pitcher) and assigned him to Batavia of the New York-Penn League.
* St. Louis Cardinals -- Claimed Willie Fraser (pitcher) on waivers from the Toronto Blue Jays. Moved Frank DiPino (pitcher) from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day emergency medical list.
BASKETBALL (NBA) * Los Angeles Clippers -- Acquired Glenn "Doc" Rivers (guard) from the Atlanta Hawks for a 1991 first-round draft pick and a 1993 and 1994 second-round draft pick. Traded Winston Garland (guard) to the Denver Nuggets for a 1996 or 1997 second-round draft pick. Renounced the rights to Tom Garrick (guard) and Mike Smrek (center).
FOOTBALL (NFL) * Dallas Cowboys -- Traded Rich Gicewicz (tight end) to the New England Patriots for an undisclosed 1992 draft pick.
* Pittsburgh Steelers -- Agreed to contract terms with Jerry Olsavsky (linebacker).
HOCKEY (NHL) * Detroit Red Wings -- Announced the signing of a one-year affiliation agreement with the Toledo Storm of the East Coast Hockey League.
SOCCER (APSL) * Fort Lauderdale Strikers -- Signed Dale Ervine (forward) for the remainder of the 1991 season.
* Akron -- Accepted an invitation to join the Mid-American Conference in 1992-93.
* Dayton -- Named Tom Westendorf interim athletic director.
* James Madison -- Named Mary Harrington volleyball coach.
* Massachusetts -- Named Joe Cullen assistant football coach.
* Minnesota -- Signed Doug Woog (hockey coach) to a five-year contract.
* Pennsylvania -- Named Bruce Konopka coach of men's lightweight crew.
* San Francisco -- Named Karen Peterson women's assistant soccer coach.